DHCP easy add - enter MAC's only once

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

stylemessiah

DHCP easy add - enter MAC's only once

Post by stylemessiah »

Currently to use the MAC fliter the way we do it, we have to enter the MAC address in the Connection > Basic screen, then save and wait for the gui to come back, and then go to Connection > DHCP and add it again there along with alias and ip. Really why cant MAC be added once, in the Connection > DHCP screen (enter screen, type alias, add MAC and IP..save...easy peasy...one screen..... and applied to the MAC allow list. And also remvoed form the allowed MAC list if i delete an entry on the Connection > DHCP screen. Workflow and housekeeping would be much quicker and easier...

Please, consider this, not just for my sanity, it seems like an obvious thing to fix.

Lantis

Re: DHCP easy add - enter MAC's only once

Post by Lantis »

Not everyone uses MAC filtering
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stylemessiah

Post by stylemessiah »

I realise this, but for those of us who do, and there are more than me, it would be a seriously great help, and i think you can admit it makes workflow sense and reduces steps and saves to config by half

If you want to point me to the relevant files and paths im even willing to try and figure out and make the changes myself

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargo ... er/package

Please have at it.
If you do implement it, it needs to be optional, and preferably only a visible option if the user has MAC Filtering enabled.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

stylemessiah

Post by stylemessiah »

Well i was expecting suggestions for paths and files on the router...no point dropping me into github as i have no clue where to even start with that...

Nevermind by looking on the router it seems the only files affected or written to are

hosts
ethers

I dont understand why it needs to be a big deal the dhcp page already saves the settings to some of the files necessary, as mentioned above, and wouldnt take much to get it to write to the wireless file at the same time, it would literally save a lot of faffing about and doubling of work for end users

Looks like ill have to find the relevant code that services the dhcp page and try editing that to do as above

Be a lot easier if someone far more familiar with the entire process would add the few bits of code to do it, could probably do it in minutes

But ill fumble about and see how i go

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

One of the problems is the developers are overloaded with things they know are broken. Let alone adding new features.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The configuration is easy to write.
Making it so that Gargoyle writes it in a valid way under specific circumstances is a lot more difficult and requires thinking and testing.

Suggestions:
/www/dhcp.sh
/www/js/dhcp.js

stylemessiah

Post by stylemessiah »

ispyisail wrote:One of the problems is the developers are overloaded with things they know are broken. Let alone adding new features.
I can appreciate that, totally

stylemessiah

Post by stylemessiah »

Lantis wrote:The configuration is easy to write.
Making it so that Gargoyle writes it in a valid way under specific circumstances is a lot more difficult and requires thinking and testing.

Suggestions:
/www/dhcp.sh
/www/js/dhcp.js
Yup, thats where i traced it too late last night :)

Cheers

A quick visit to http://unminify.com/ and pasting in dhcp.js and i can start to figure out the magic :)

(very)Theoretically all that needs to be added to the existing saveChanges() function is a section to write the MAC address to the options maclist line in /etc/wireless, unless im way off base, and conversely one for remove and edit, with checking the array of existing entries first on each occasion ....