WNDR3700 keeps rebooting when QoS enabled

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

miels

WNDR3700 keeps rebooting when QoS enabled

Post by miels »

I've got a Netgear WNDR3700v2 and recently decided to start running Gargoyle on it. So it's now on 1.9.1

Everything seems to be working fine. Untill I enable QoS (download) on it. It keeps rebooting. In each loop I've got a couple of seconds to access the router, so it's very hard go get it out of the loop.
Unfortunately the factory reset procedure (router on, press reset for 7 seconds) didn't restore Gargoyles settings to the default
In the end I did manage to disable QoS within the few seconds I had in one of the bootloops.

I'd like to enable QoS though. I did add some settings before enabling QoS (but removed them afterwards). When enabling QoS with (presumably) default settings it again came in the bootloop.

Before testing different settings it would be nice to have a way to reset the settings when it's in a loop again.

Are there any logs I can provide? (I'm familiar with SSH, but didn't see a sticky with an instruction on what logs to provide)

d3fz

Re: WNDR3700 keeps rebooting when QoS enabled

Post by d3fz »

Maybe it's related to this (fixed) problem?

Also, make sure not to use Layer7 Protocol in your QoS/Restrictions rules, as problems may occur.
Last edited by d3fz on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

miels

Post by miels »

Hmm, now you mention it... I couldn't remember exactly what I did and how long it had worked, but I think I had enabled QoS first for an hour or so. When fiddling around with the settings later I gave layer 7 a try. So that might have triggered the issue.

Removed all layer 7 rules from QoS. Seemed to be working for a moment, but problems started to occur again soon. :(

Next step is reset settings to factory default I guess? Any other suggestions?

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Have you tried the instructions from the thread mentioned above ?

According to Lantis, reboot loops can also be caused by corrupted bwmon data.

If that's the problem, deleting all bwmon data should fix it.

Also, make sure you're running the latest build, which is actually 1.9.X and not 1.9.1, and can always be found on the "Show / Tell / Contribute" forum.

Here's the link of the latest build available:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... =14&t=9178

WARNING: DO NOT PRESERVE SETTINGS

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Funny thing, after 3 months without a problem (rebooting everyday, just in case), i was also affected by the same problem today, my router got stuck in a reboot loop. :lol:

Problem was easily solved by wiping all bwmon data in "/usr/data/bwmon" using WinSCP.

I'm running Gargoyle 1.9.X (Built 20160714-0844 git@9b75d12) on a TP-Link TL-WR842N/ND v2.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

d3fz wrote:Funny thing, after 3 months without a problem (rebooting everyday, just in case), i was also affected by the same problem today, my router got stuck in a reboot loop. :lol:

Problem was easily solved by wiping all bwmon data in "/usr/data/bwmon" using WinSCP.

I'm running Gargoyle 1.9.X (Built 20160714-0844 git@9b75d12) on a TP-Link TL-WR842N/ND v2.
Are you using QoS?

Is there a connection with QoS?

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

ispyisail wrote: Are you using QoS?

Yes, i'm using QoS and although it's been working flawlessly, that's probably what caused the problem.

What was really strange is that i didn't change anything in my rules or any settings, they've been the same for the past two months.

I'm aware that the Layer7 Protocol it's currently broken and may cause issues, so i never touched it.

What i did notice was that what caused the problem had something to do with the lastest "do_bw_backup.sh" scheduled procedure at 4am, since after that, when the router rebooted at 5am (daily scheduled), it got stuck in a reboot loop.

I kept the corrupted files on my pc just in case, i'm just not sure how or if it's worth to "try" to debug it.

Any thoughts ?

tapper

Post by tapper »

d3fz wrote:
ispyisail wrote: Are you using QoS?

Yes, i'm using QoS and although it's been working flawlessly, that's probably what caused the problem.

What was really strange is that i didn't change anything in my rules or any settings, they've been the same for the past two months.

I'm aware that the Layer7 Protocol it's currently broken and may cause issues, so i never touched it.

What i did notice was that what caused the problem had something to do with the lastest "do_bw_backup.sh" scheduled procedure at 4am, since after that, when the router rebooted at 5am (daily scheduled), it got stuck in a reboot loop.

I kept the corrupted files on my pc just in case, i'm just not sure how or if it's worth to "try" to debug it.

Any thoughts ?

There was that bug to do with day light saving time. :^)
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

gionn

Post by gionn »

WR1043N v2 on 1.9.2

Got bootloop while configuring QoS, a first time while adding layer 7 rules for ssh, skype, a second time just after enabling congestion control.

I did factory reset every time.

Now I am stable with qos enabled with default rules.

tapper

Post by tapper »

layer 7 is broken sorry pleas don't try and use. There is a fix in the works but don't know how long it will be.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260