TP-Link WR841N v11 keeps rebooting after qos is enabled

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ghorvath

TP-Link WR841N v11 keeps rebooting after qos is enabled

Post by ghorvath »

I just bought a TP-Link WR841N v11, and flashed with Gargoyle 1.9.1. I managed to set it up properly, and except for the qos it works perfectly. df shows 56 kbytes free space out of 320. I think it was 80 kbytes free straight after flashing. Memory usage is 14.7 MB out of 28, and with running heavy downloads and browsing currently the CPU load is below 5%. It can also put through very high speeds using wifi between two local machines, and cpu is at least 50% idle during such transfers.

However, when I enabled qos, then the router kept rebooting, no matter what I did. It took me a long time with several resetting and powering up the router after I managed to log in to turn the qos off. Since then, everything works perfectly again. However, I would really like to have the qos, considering my internet connection is only 1Mbit distributed among 3 machines.....

Does anyone have any idea what I can do in order to make qos work?
Some trouble is that the router is in a box in the wall, so it is very inconvenient to access it if I need to reset it, which makes me a bit reluctant to try things that may put the router into another reset loop. Further, I am really unsure how to reset this router, considering the power LED does not work with this Gargoyle version, so I have no idea when to press the reset button and for how long....

Any help is appreciated.

Lantis

Re: TP-Link WR841N v11 keeps rebooting after qos is enabled

Post by Lantis »

You should try the latest 1.9.x which has had a few changes made to try and make 4MB routers run a bit better.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9178

Other than that, there's not much to recommend.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Thank you, I will try it out sometime soon.

I am on v1.9.1. Can I keep my settings during reflash, or should I back up my settings and restore them after the reflash? Or should I manually make all settings all over again?

Thank you.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Manually remake.

That image is untested.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Thank you very much for the advice.

I have flashed the new 1.9.x sysupgrade firmware, but I did not even get to set up qos, because I noticed that some of the pages do not preserve the settings properly. E.g. dynamic dns page does not save the setting, even if I click save settings. Or the port forwarding does not preserve settings, either. I set up 5 port forwards, and when I clicked save, it only remembered the first 2. Then I rebooted the device, and it forgot even those 2 settings. The Connection/Basic and Connection/DHCP settings seemed to hold through several reboots. And the device never rebooted accidentally, but again, I did not dare to set the qos knowing that some parts do not function properly.

It really is a shame, because it seemed like that at least the free space on the device was much more than before (e.g. 448 kbytes instead of 320, as before). Anyway, for me the dyndns problem is a make or break issue, because I need to log in every once in a while from outside, as well. Currently I went back running an 741Nv2 with Gargoyle 1.6.2, that seems to be more stable.

If anyone has any more ideas, I will try them when I have the time.

Thank you for the help.

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

Update:
I have reset all settings to default, then reflahsed the router, but now I ticked and unticked the ``preserve settings'' box. (Maybe this way it really would flash it in a non-preserving way...) Then I have reset all settings again to default, and now the router seems to work as intended. Only about 80kbytes out of 320 are free, but at first time it was around 76, and even went down to something like 64. Seems to save the settings properly, dyndns works, etc.

I have managed to put in all my qos rules, and it seemed to work fine. Then I saved the settings and decided to reboot to see if it will still be stable. Unfortunately, the rebooting cycle started all over again. :-( If I do not connect the internet to it, only one machine, then it seems fine, but if I connect the internet with a machine pulling data from the internet, then it reboots in a couple minutes.

I may try disabling web monitoring, but other than that, I am not sure if anything else could be done.... I would use the stable 1.6.2, but for 841Nv11 that firmware does not exists. :-( So for now, I am using my 741Nv2 with the old 1.6.2, that seems to do the job properly.

Thank you for the help.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

To be honest with you, it's a 4MB router. We gave a suggestion from one user a shot to see if it would work, and apparently not.

It's not unexpected

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

To be honest with you, it's a 4MB router.
That's what I was thinking

I don't have any problem with my routers 8MB and above

ghorvath

Post by ghorvath »

ispyisail wrote:
To be honest with you, it's a 4MB router.
That's what I was thinking

I don't have any problem with my routers 8MB and above
Yeah, well, that is probably the problem. :-( I remember you advising another user that 4MB routers will likely fail more and more often as the new builds will come out. A shame, considering that 8MB routers cost more than twice (in Hungary about 3 times) than 4MB routers.

Anyway, thank you very much for all the help. I will use this router without the qos.