Quotas causing reboots on C7 with 1.9.x

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

smiller

Quotas causing reboots on C7 with 1.9.x

Post by smiller »

Hi. I'd been posting on this problem on another thread "WDR36000 and random reboots", but as neither of those now apply I've started a new one here. I started on a WDR3600, I've now moved to an Archer C7 and the reboots are not at all random.

After disabling quotas, the router was up without incident for four days.
I re-enabled the throttling rules. Crash within seconds.

I enabled one rule; a single ten-ip range with one current user. Router promptly crashed.
I changed that one rule to stop traffic instead of throttle. No crash.

I re-enabled a throttle rule for my guest ip address range. No problem... but there are not currently any guests attached. I enabled all the other rules as shutdown instead of throttle. All good.

The rule that crashed the box was set up that it would start throttling almost right away.
(One of my kids is on youtube, the rule was designed to throttle after a few MB so he still had internet but couldn't do video.)

So a single throttling rule *that is actively throttling* is enough to crash, but shutdown rules are fine.

I tried deleting the files under /usr/data/bwmon and rebooting. If throttling occurs, the box still reboots.
I see nothing from dmesg or logread -f when this occurs. No log, stack, traceback... it just goes away.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? This is completely reproducible for me.

Lantis

Re: Quotas causing reboots on C7 with 1.9.x

Post by Lantis »

When you throttle, do you use a QOS class or a throttle speed number?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

smiller

Post by smiller »

A throttle speed number.
E.G. 50 MB per day then 50 kbps up/down thereafter.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Could you test using a QOS class to similar effect?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

smiller

Post by smiller »

Sorry for the delay in getting back.

I set up a few QoS download classes, and they seem to be throttling correctly.

These are nothing fancy - just maximum bandwidth for specific hosts.
But they work and no crashes.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Which is the result i expected, and narrows down the problem. Thanks! :)

GAChuck

Post by GAChuck »

Lantis:

I'm having the same problem. Every time an IP hits a defined limit defined with a throttle response, the router resets.

I haven't tried the QoS throttle, but will give it a try when I can.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 running 1.9.X

GAChuck

Post by GAChuck »

Just thought of a question: Is this a problem that only the newer Archer C7 V.2's are experiencing? You helped me get past the problem with the new flash chips, but I'm wondering if there's a better box I could pickup with known (and stable) architecture. Please let me know what you think.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 running 1.9.X

tapper

Post by tapper »

GAChuck wrote:Just thought of a question: Is this a problem that only the newer Archer C7 V.2's are experiencing? You helped me get past the problem with the new flash chips, but I'm wondering if there's a better box I could pickup with known (and stable) architecture. Please let me know what you think.
Hi mate it happens on other routers too. The op says that it happend on his wdr3600. From what I have bin told it's a hard bug to nail down.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It's a seemingly universal issue.
I've tracked it down to what module causes it, now I have to dig into the module which is quite complex.

It's definitely on my todo list. But even that is getting long.