Monitoring non-local subnet

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

dsalch

Monitoring non-local subnet

Post by dsalch »

I am using QOS extensively to support VOIP on a VERY busy DSL network. The qos works well, but have ruin into an issue with the apparent design of monitoring (unless I have something set wrong).

My setup:

Gargoyle on the main DSL WIFI router
Several WIFI systems on DHCP, a few assigned
an old linklsys wifi router running dd-wrt as a local access point for remote office
Wired connection into the linksys router on assigned IPs
this includes the voip phone on the office subnet

gateway router 192.168.1.1 subnet 192.168.1.0
linksys router wifi on 192.168.1.2 subnet 192.168.1.0
linksys router lan side = 192.168.2.1 subnet 192.168.2.0
VOIP phone at 192.168.2.32

static route set to send 192.168.2.0 through 192.168.1.2

Everything works perfect. even QOS, no problems at all.

Monitoring: all the monitoring at the gargoyle router does not show any traffic from 192.168.2.0 ips EXCEPT a total within the QOS bandwidth. It fails to break the bandwidth down by IP on the remote subnet.

Its difficult to tell if the total bandwidth reports include the traffic going from the remote subnet (192.168.2.0) top the outside world through gorgoyle. The reports dont add up as if that traffic is ignored in reporting.

This makes monitoring and setup difficult, as it appears that all reports are really only a subset of the entire traffic, if local subnets are present.

is this intentional?

ispyisail

Re: Monitoring non-local subnet

Post by ispyisail »

is this intentional?
doubt it

Gargoyle is really setup for the home user, anything else is just a bonus

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

In github @ericpaulbishop noted that is is not technically possible because the Linksys NAT hides the goings on on the "linksys router lan side = 192.168.2.1 subnet 192.168.2.0"
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle/issues/526
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

rseiler

Post by rseiler »

@ nworbnhoj, though that's in the context of a multiple-router setup, right? What about the case where the one-and-only Gargoyle router has two subnets, one of which is invisible to the sections that the OP mentions (bandwidth monitoring)? Is there a config change to make that happen? You can actually see the b/w listed for those PCs in the Connection List, so I would think so.

dsalch

Post by dsalch »

nworbnhoj wrote:In github @ericpaulbishop noted that is is not technically possible because the Linksys NAT hides the goings on on the "linksys router lan side = 192.168.2.1 subnet 192.168.2.0"
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle/issues/526
I know this is an old post, just wanted to make a followup note...

The situation I am referring to is not NAT on the subnet, It is a properly routed subnet where each machine has its own IP within the subnet. Thre is no NAT running at all below the gargoyle router. SO it seems to be a different situation.

I have not tested whether this is still a reporting issue in the current version. I changed my network to have only one subnet to get around this and some other problems.

But it seems advantageous for gargoyle to be able to report on ALL ip traffic from subnets within it's control, on an IP by IP basis. Just because traffic TO and FROM an individual IP is routed through an internal gateway, yet flows through the main router in both direction as IP traffic, does not seem a reason to be unable to report on that IP traffic ?

If it is truly impossible, thjat leads me to think that reporting is happening on the MAC address, not truly the IP. Is that the case?

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Gargoyle is intended for use with a single subnet and there is no plan to change that. If you use more then somethings may work and somethings may not. In your case it seems to me that the simplest thing to do is to get everything on one subnet. If you do that the monitors will work.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

dsalch

Post by dsalch »

pbix wrote:Gargoyle is intended for use with a single subnet and there is no plan to change that. If you use more then somethings may work and somethings may not. In your case it seems to me that the simplest thing to do is to get everything on one subnet. If you do that the monitors will work.
That is what I ended up doing. It is a bit more difficult initially in some ways, but once set up it works fine.