Using Quotas range vs fixed IP

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

darkfibre

Using Quotas range vs fixed IP

Post by darkfibre »

Hi people,

Just trying to shortcut some testing.

I will be installing Gargoyle on quite a few devices, and I am currently making up some generic rules based on IPs so when I flash a router I can restore some generic rules.

If I have a rule for a range (192.168.1.10-192.168.1.20) that restricts bandwidth after say 100mb, if 1 single device hits the limit, the rule is enforced for the whole group? If so I will stick to single rules.

Another question, which file are the rules stored on?

Ta.

Lantis

Re: Using Quotas range vs fixed IP

Post by Lantis »

My thought is that the rule applies to the group as a whole.

I believe stored in /usr/data/quotas
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

darkfibre

Post by darkfibre »

I found the quota files, and worked out the files well enough, but when I add a new ip quota file it does not come up in the rules. Saving changes deletes the new rule. Rebooting does not delete the rule but is still not showing in the interface.

Every day I can drive this thing better, but not there yet.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

"Only the following hosts" applies to all the IP addresses (range or indiv) as a group. When the group hits the combined limit, all are blocked.

I suspect that you will have to add quota values programatically to uci BUT this will be at risk of messing up the quota's logic. For example there is logic to prevent an IP address being restricted by more than a single quota at any given time of the day/week/month etc. And robustness to roughly cope if a conflict slips thru.

Sorry do not have time for a full answer now - tomorrow perhaps
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E