OpenVPN client and QoS, B/W monitoring issues

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

evilgold

OpenVPN client and QoS, B/W monitoring issues

Post by evilgold »

It seems that having using the OpenVPN client with gargoyle results in everything just using the VPN's ip address instead of showing my local network. The B/W monitor page will always just show "gargoyle" (the router) as using 100% of the bandwidth, my other hosts are all listed, but show 0kb in usage. QoS seems to have the same problem, in that it only detects the OpenVPN traffic. For example my VPN is connected on port 53 so with the default settings all my traffic gets classified as "fast".

Is there any way of fixing either of these issues? I'd be happy if i could get either one to work, but QoS would be extremely helpful for my situation. We have a 5mbps connection shared here between 5 people and a heck of a lot of devices that like to use up all our bandwidth to auto update.

Currently running build: 1.9.X (Built 20151011-1810 git@a5c027b)
but this problem has been persistent for over a year in the stable release.

ispyisail

Re: OpenVPN client and QoS, B/W monitoring issues

Post by ispyisail »

have you got a screen shot?

selma

Post by selma »

I have the exact same problems. Firmware version 1.9. on a tp-link 1043nd v2. I'd upload a screenshot but it's not working ("board attachment quota").

I can describe the Image though :-) All DHCP clients have a 0 (zero) download in the BW distribution. Everything is counted towards the VPN IP.

This is a pitty because I was really hoping to run the VPN client on the router AND have controll over QoS.

Anything we can do to resolve this?

Grateful for any help.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

This problem has been reported a few times in the forum, for VPN and for Tor. It is on my list to track it down, but I have not made a concerted effort yet. Complex area of code!
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

selma

Post by selma »

nworbnhoj wrote:This problem has been reported a few times in the forum, for VPN and for Tor. It is on my list to track it down, but I have not made a concerted effort yet. Complex area of code!
Thank you for your quick reply and clarifying. I will watch the space for progress. Thank you for your efforts.

selma

Post by selma »

I do have an additional question regarding this topic. Is this a gargoyle only limitation? Meaning if I'd go for a generic Openwrt install, would I face the same problem?

I really want to avoid going down that route. Gargoyle has really all the features I'd hoped for, but I think in the long run I'd really need both features working together somehow.

Could you possibly think of a workaround for the most simple QoS? If I was able to just limit one or two local machines IPs (static) to a given percentage at capacity then 98% of my needs would be fulfilled.

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

The QoS and Quota (& GUI) features are the core extensions that Gargoyle adds to openwrt. To my knowledge they are not readily otherwise available in openwrt.

I spent a little time looking into this yesterday because in my second ever post in this forum, just over a year ago, I asked a similar question and have never found the answer. It bugs me. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6464

I think I know where the problem is now, but my first rough attempt at a fix bricked my router so I will need to be more gentle. Unfortunately I am am going walk-about so will not be able to look at this again for a couple of weeks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenchmans_Cap

selma

Post by selma »

ooops, now i feel guilty for the bricked router. sorry for that. anyways, good hiking in taz!!!

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

I brick my router on a weekly basis! situation normal.

selma

Post by selma »

nworbnhoj wrote: I think I know where the problem is now, but my first rough attempt at a fix bricked my router so I will need to be more gentle. Unfortunately I am am going walk-about so will not be able to look at this again for a couple of weeks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenchmans_Cap
Hey nworbnhoj,

Hope you had a good time? Have you been able to make any progress with this? If there's anything I can do to help testing please let me know.

Cheers!