Disappointing bufferbloat

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

greyfreak19

Re: Disappointing bufferbloat

Post by greyfreak19 »

pkm wrote:Changing to adsl1 low latency profile gives me grade A on bufferbloat!
i got a stable line and when i was on interleaved i got 32ms with interleaved off i get 7ms which is huge for me considering i get 150ms ping s on servers normally i now get 100-110 on some server and 120 - 135ms on some but the slight diffrence 20ms in the two servers is actually because of my isp routing as both server are valve Singapore servers there are 3 extra hop which make me lag the 20ms and i have hitreg issues on those server isp sided problem again i hope they get that fixed also i dont have any option to turn of interleave mode on my modem isp provided only the modulations are availible to select for me i had to contact my isp to change my line type i had to go through alot of hassle to make them do it
also they said if you play games get static ip and i was like why that wont do anything and then the customer support guy said there is a reason we say on our page for games clearly that guy dosent now what his talking about static ip wont lower my pings
Last edited by greyfreak19 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

greyfreak19

Post by greyfreak19 »

pkm wrote:It could be because i deleted the default profiles that you get from QoS from the first time? Should i add those back? Things like port 80,443 and the voip/slow class profiles.
also i dont think so because the default profiles just prioratize web traffic Gargoyle has per ip bandwith sharing which works awsome for me
Last edited by greyfreak19 on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

greyfreak19

Post by greyfreak19 »

tapper wrote:
orangetek wrote:Hi tapper. I had the same issue and it turned it out that my isp was dropping pings regardless of link saturation. This may not be the case for you but i would monitor your pings just to make sure. I have modified ACC to ignore ping timeouts and it has helped a lot.
Hi is it simple to modify ACC?
i have heard about both those things as for the unstable that would be if someone was faraway from the exchange or had a bad line someone with a decent line should be fine right as for the speed loss i didnt notice any and gargoyle auto reduces the speed for me so yeah and without qos i got 3.9-3.97mbits down and 0.9-0.95mbits upload didnt notice a speed drop from disabling interleaved which corrects packets by what i read maybay it only reduces speeds and unstable connection at higher speeds

greyfreak19

Post by greyfreak19 »

also another thing i should point out if you or anyone in your house use PWP torrent clients i have head they use alot of ACK which you prioratized in the rules and classes to lower buffer blaot you can however like me set a single static port in your torrent client and set those to normal or create a new class BULK so they dnt eat your bandwtih i just set them to normal so they dont use the fast class meant for small packet not for torrents and i let the per ip sharing of gargoyle do its work

tweakit

Post by tweakit »

I know this is an old thread. I do want to add that I achieved an A+ overall @dslreports.com using gargoyle version 1.8-1. Using the logic of creating 2 separate classes fast and normal as written by another poster.. no rules in place except Maximum Packet Length: 256 bytes for up and down instead of 512. One exception is for my Xbox, but that rule does not affect the outcome whatsoever. My ISP is Charter, my line rate is consistently 66 down, 5 up with some overlap on each. I reduced the upload by -15% (4250kb) and download is set at 100% (66000kb) with ACC activated. Tests are consistent! :D

pkm

Post by pkm »

tweakit wrote:I know this is an old thread. I do want to add that I achieved an A+ overall @dslreports.com using gargoyle version 1.8-1. Using the logic of creating 2 separate classes fast and normal as written by another poster.. no rules in place except Maximum Packet Length: 256 bytes for up and down instead of 512. One exception is for my Xbox, but that rule does not affect the outcome whatsoever. My ISP is Charter, my line rate is consistently 66 down, 5 up with some overlap on each. I reduced the upload by -15% (4250kb) and download is set at 100% (66000kb) with ACC activated. Tests are consistent! :D
Interesting. So you haven't tried the latest gargoyle version or you weren't getting the same results?

tweakit

Post by tweakit »

I own two routers, a Netgear WNDR3800 (Charter Cable not Chinese as some may think) and a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk. Gargoyle ver 1.9.1 causes an infinite reboot that's why I have to downgrade to ver 1.8.1. The R7000 wifi isn't supported to my knowledge. I wish the R7000 was supported considering even tomato firmware has been supporting it for a year now.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Other firmwares support the wifi using closed source binaries.
Openwrt doesn't advocate the use of these.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tweakit

Post by tweakit »

Lantis wrote:Other firmwares support the wifi using closed source binaries.
Openwrt doesn't advocate the use of these.

I understand that concept completely. It's a something that I think Most would agree on having. My Nighthawk is all alone in the corner. The brightside is this little router is kicking butt! It also further proves that it's not all about hardware and marketing gimmicks when it comes to stability, speed, and efficiency. I play Games, use Skype, and and stream with my roommate and barely notice any difference or loss in bandwidth/ping. It's a Utopia. Big praises to the creators and the people on this forum for all their hard efforts. Maybe I can donate this R7000 for some hardcore testing???