(Random?) Wipe of Quota Settings

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Magnus

(Random?) Wipe of Quota Settings

Post by Magnus »

Hi,

I am running Gargoyle 1.6.2 on a TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v2 for about a week now as an Wifi AP for a group of ~10-15 coworkers. The main objective is to distribute the monthly quota given by our provider in a fair manner.

To archive this I assigned fixed IPs to all relevant MACs via the connection\dhpc settings in gargoyle and defined the following quotas:
  • X1 GB monthly for entire Network -> limit bandwidth
    X2 MB daily for all unknown clients combined -> limit bandwith
    X3 MB daily for client with IP A -> limith bandwith
    X4 MB daily for client with IP B -> limith bandwith
and so on..

While this worked fine for some days I now experience unexpected results when doing certain adjustments via the GUI:
  • Adding a Quota rule that includes two IPs -> shows as second "ALL" rule and deletes some of the individual quotas
  • Increasing a Quota for a certain client -> deletes all rules but the "ALL" quota
I have been able to reproduce this behaivior severel times now with slightly different but in essence the same unexpected/unwanted results. I have also tried to reboot the router.

What can I do to debug this?

Guessing this might be a GUI Issue: Is there a way to apply the quota settings in some config file accessible via ssh?

Thank You for Your support
Magnus

nworbnhoj

Re: (Random?) Wipe of Quota Settings

Post by nworbnhoj »

I saw some odd behaviour a little like this on my TL-WR1043NDv2 but on 1.7.X (not on 1.6.2). I rather expect that it was a hardware memory limitation (but I have never properly tracked it down).

I wonder, do you have other plugins installed? (taking up memory)

Also I suspect that you might be able to simplify your quota rules a bit - could you provide a cut&paste of your existing rules (or screenshot)

Longshots sorry!
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Hi.

Thank You for your reply. Concerning your questions:

1. I am not using any other plugins. Memory usage appears to be fine at the moment using the quotas:
status_v01.PNG
status_v01.PNG (6.35 KiB) Viewed 8578 times
Do you believe the actual changing of quota settings will cause high memory usage? :?:

2. Here is a Screenshots of my active quotas in place at the moment:
active_quotas_v01.PNG
active_quotas_v01.PNG (19.81 KiB) Viewed 8578 times
All is monthly, the rest is daily.

Any more suggestions? :(

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Magnus wrote: Do you believe the actual changing of quota settings will cause high memory usage?
nworbnhoj wrote:Longshots sorry!
A possible simplification (easier to maintain) to the QOS rules would be to replace the last 6 rules with a single All Hosts Without Explicit Quotas (Combined): total 200MB. Does not fix your main issue - just a tweak!

Gargoyle qos settings are in the file /etc/config/qos_gargoyle which you can access via ssh or replace with scp

Sorry - have not resolved main issue :(
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

If all else fails try "Failsafe reset"

tals

Post by tals »

When I had some strange issues a while back it was caused by preserving the settings when I updated the firmware, is that the case for you. If so would suggest a firmware update (same version. don't preserve the settings to see if that resolves)
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

Magnus

Post by Magnus »

nworbnhoj wrote: A possible simplification (easier to maintain) to the QOS rules would be to replace the last 6 rules with a single All Hosts Without Explicit Quotas (Combined): total 200MB. Does not fix your main issue - just a tweak!
Either I did not understand the setting, or this does not give me the setting I need: I want specific (known!) set of people/hosts to have 200MB each for every 24hours. All other unknown clients should share 200MB/24h combined.

I think what I am looking for which would make things easier is a setting like: "Give this set of IPs 200MB/day each (NOT combined)."
nworbnhoj wrote: Gargoyle qos settings are in the file /etc/config/qos_gargoyle which you can access via ssh or replace with scp
Cool, I will look into this. Can I edit them from there? This might be a lot easier when I need to redo all settings after the next wipe...

Magnus

Post by Magnus »

tals wrote:When I had some strange issues a while back it was caused by preserving the settings when I updated the firmware, is that the case for you.
Thanks. This was a fresh install from stock router right off the shelf, so I guess this does not apply :(

tals

Post by tals »

Agreed :cry:
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

Magnus

Post by Magnus »

nworbnhoj wrote: Gargoyle qos settings are in the file /etc/config/qos_gargoyle which you can access via ssh or replace with scp

The next wipe came after adjusting the settings for a certain quota, so I looked into this. I found the Quota Settings in /etc/config/firewall. I am now able to restore, set and adjust the settings via this file.

However appears that at least some quotas are not beeing reset as configured. Can I somehow trigger the reset manually? Do you know where the usage is stored, so I can look into this?