Need hell to setup Quotas

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

simone

Need hell to setup Quotas

Post by simone »

My router is a TP-Link TL-WDR4300 v1 with Gargoyle Version:1.6.2
Eight people sharing 300 GB per month.
To share it fair I would like to use Quota restrictions.

Does the TP-Link router has to be connected to the internet via Internet/WAN port or can I just use any of the four LAN Ports?

Thanks in advance for your support.

nworbnhoj

Re: Need hell to setup Quotas

Post by nworbnhoj »

The Router needs to be connected to the Internet via the WAN port because the quota function is implemented by the firewall which sits "between" the WAN port and the LAN ports.
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

simone

Post by simone »

As I have an ADSL connection, do I have to put my ADSL modem to bringe mode and connect from the Gargoyle router via PPPoE?
Or can I connect via DHCP (Wired)?
I am asking this because if I connect via PPPoE , probably the telephone connected to the modem which is using VOIP will no longer work.
If I am right, how to solve this issue?
I still want to use the telephone flat rate which is included in my ADSL contract.

The modem is a o2 Box 6431 with firmware 1.01.25b

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

i suspect you are correct that bridge mode will stop your VOIP phone working. but you could try it and find out.

What kind of connection is the voip phone? normal ethernet?
if it is you might be able to create a vlan to get it working but that is going into command line stuff, not configurable via the GUI in gargoyle.

you can try DHCP (Wired). For now i think that will be your safest bet :)
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

simone

Post by simone »

I haven't tested it yet, but my o2 router already tells me the following.

"Note: Internet telephony is only in operating mode "Use one Internet connection for all computers (router)" possible."

The telephone is connected via TAE connector.
"TAE (Telekommunikations-Anschluss-Einheit, i.e. telecommunications connection unit) is the German standard for telephone plugs and sockets."

Only the o2 router has this TAE port to connect the analog telephone.
The TL-WDR4300 doesn't support this as it is a plain router and not an allrounder.

Is there a way how I can still use my analog telephone?
Looking forward for your kind help.

simone

Post by simone »

Another question.

Here
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=basic
it says the following:

"Most people will want to connect via the DHCP (wired) option, which is the default. If you have an ADSL connection you should select PPPoE, and put your ADSL modem in bridge mode."

As I have an ADSL connection, do I have to configure the the Gargoyle WAN port to connect via PPPoE (wired) and put my o2 router to bridge mode or can I also use the DHCP (wired) option?

When using the DHCP (wired) option, how do I have to configure the o2 router? If I have to put it on bridge mode, where to enter the o2 access data?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I can't confirm any of this because my setup was very simple, but I think your best bet is to give the following a go, and see what results you get.

Leave the current O2 modem/router configured as is. Leave your phone connected to it.

Connect from the O2 to the WAN port of your WNDR. Set it to DHCP wired and see what happens.

I *think* you need to then set your DHCP range for the WNDR to a different subnet e.g. 192.168.2.xxx

Get back to us with your progress.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

XmaD

Post by XmaD »

I suggest to get into the O2 router and disable the DHCP server, then assign a static IP out of your router DCHP range (192.168.0.1) to your routers MAC address. Then in Gargoyle use static IP (Wired) instead of DHCP (wired). With this you are sure to don't mess with DHCP lease on the O2 router.
BTW you can leave on the DHCP on both devices it "should" be the same. :roll:

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

simone

Post by simone »

@ Lantis: Thank you it worked with DHCP (wired) after I changed the o2 modem/router IP to 192.168.0.1 and the Gargoyle router IP to 192.168.1.1.

@ XmaD: You are right, I will change it to static IP (Wired)

@ nworbnhoj: Thanks for the link, this exactly describes my situation.

Now after assigning fix IP addresses to the clients and setting up quotas I have another problem.

The internet is shared by eleven people in a house where the wlan range is not enough. I tried to solve this with AVM FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 310
http://en.avm.de/products/fritzwlan/fri ... eater-310/
For normal internet browsing it is working fine but the Viber app for phone calls is not working (installed on android smartphones).
Doing Viber calls connected to the WNDR wlan it is working but as soon as I am in the range of the repeater I get an error message from Viber telling me there is a problem with the connection.

Could it be that the repeater is not repeating the needed ports for Viber calls?