ACC and Bandwidth Hit

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

NGowner

ACC and Bandwidth Hit

Post by NGowner »

I am currently running a 30/1 connection from TWC to a TL-1043.

If I have ACC turned off, speedtest.net shows my download speeds at ~28Mb/s.

If I have ACC turned on (and the max download is set to 30720 kbits/s, ping time to Auto), speedtest.net only shows ~15Mb/s. This also happens with sustained downloads (from Steam for example).

Am I doing something wrong, or is this the expected behavior when ACC is turned on?

[NG]Owner

pbix
Developer

Re: ACC and Bandwidth Hit

Post by pbix »

Things I would look at.

1) Is your router's CPU maxed out? ACC does not take much CPU time but QoS does. So are you only tuning ACC on and off or all of QoS? If y ou run out of CPU time your bandwidth will be limited.

2) What ping time limit is being computed automatically by ACC. Enter a higher ping limit manually and see if that helps. ACC does its best to automatically compute this time but it is not perfect.

3) Finally what version of Gargoyle are you using? And post a screen shot of your QoS download page which shows the whole page including the ACC status section while to problem is happening.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

NGowner

Re: ACC and Bandwidth Hit

Post by NGowner »

pbix wrote:1) Is your router's CPU maxed out? ACC does not take much CPU time but QoS does. So are you only tuning ACC on and off or all of QoS? If you run out of CPU time your bandwidth will be limited.
No, router CPU is not maxed out. TP 1043s are pretty beefy. Only ACC is being dis/enabled. QOS is on, but during my testing QOS is not enforcing any COS limitations on the download side. On the upload, 100k is reserved for VoIP and that's working as expected. Upload speeds are 900k.
pbix wrote:2) What ping time limit is being computed automatically by ACC. Enter a higher ping limit manually and see if that helps. ACC does its best to automatically compute this time but it is not perfect.
If memory serves, the ping time limit being computed automatically is in the 200 ms range. I have entered higher limits (higher than auto), and the download has increased in speed. But those higher limits defeat the purpose of ACC, do they not? In theory, ACC should reserve some headroom for additional connections using a pilot ping's low RTT by throttling existing connections such that the pilot ping's RTT remains under X ms. Set that too high, and you defeat the purpose. But keeping 50% of the available bandwidth as the headroom is too much.
pbix wrote:3) Finally what version of Gargoyle are you using? And post a screen shot of your QoS download page which shows the whole page including the ACC status section while to problem is happening.
1.5.10. I'll get screenshots up this weekend.

[NG]Owner