QOS for console gaming

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

GargoyleNoob

QOS for console gaming

Post by GargoyleNoob »

The QOS up and down pages look foreign to me in comparison to the stock firmware or DD-WRT QOS. I want to find a way to only give my console 1024kb down and 512kb up while also giving those packets top priority. I have a 30 down 4 up, but normally get about a 45 down when I test to servers withing 250mi. If someone could setup a QOS page and screenshot it that would be great!

GargoyleNoob

Re: QOS for console gaming

Post by GargoyleNoob »

Let me lay this out a little better.
I have a 30 download
4 upload
I want to limit my console to 512kbps up and 1024kpbs down
I want to allocate 20mbps down and 2.5 up up to my PC
I also want to allocate the remaining BW to my other devices.

I have set up classes with these limits, but I am still speedtesting more than I am allocating and I am getting more usable bandwidth when I play on my console as well. Can someone with a console, a PC, and a few other devices screenshot their settings and post them?

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I doubt that anyone will be able to post any screen shots for you because the setup you describe is not one that makes much sense. Perhaps you can describe a problem you have and then we can think about solving it the Gargoyle way.

Each class has a maximum bandwidth setting so you can achieve what you describe. It just does not seem very wise.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

GargoyleNoob

Post by GargoyleNoob »

How would you recommend I go about setting it up?

QOS Screenshots
QOD Down.png
QOD Down.png (42.13 KiB) Viewed 8453 times
QOS Up.png
QOS Up.png (32.64 KiB) Viewed 8453 times

GargoyleNoob

Post by GargoyleNoob »

For some reason, making my xbox IP my default class, all of my traffic is routed through my xbox IP, but QOS works then lol. I dont get it

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Well you did not explain why you wanted to limit traffic the way you described.

At least you did post some screen shots. In them I can see your rules are wrong. You cannot use both source and destination IP the same in a single rule. Packets don't flow from and to the same IP.

Use only source on the upload and destination on the download screens.

Please read the QoS Wiki, It will really help you.

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

GargoyleNoob

Post by GargoyleNoob »

Thanks man. I now have it set up properly by IP addresses. All application are peaking at their max BW during tests

Statix

Post by Statix »

Why would you want to limit your max download on your Xbox? You should give your gaming machine a decent-size MINIMUM bandwidth, and leave maximum bandwidth off.

If you're the only one using your internet, it might be a good idea for you to just turn off QoS. As long as you don't download anything or stream videos while gaming, you shouldn't have any lag playing games.
GargoyleNoob wrote:I have a 30 down 4 up, but normally get about a 45 down when I test to servers withing 250mi.
Speed tests are misleading. Most ISPs use something called "Powerboost" that only TEMPORARILY boost your internet speeds for a few seconds, which make your speed tests seem faster than your internet really is. If your ISP says you have 30 down and 4 up, then that's probably your real speeds (ignoring the temporary "Powerboost"). You should set your QoS total bandwidth settings to 90% or less of your 30 down 4 up bandwidth... for example, set your QoS total bandwidth settings to 28 megabits down and 3.5 megabits up.
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - Gargoyle 1.6.1