Setup for QoS & Web monitoring

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Psychic

Setup for QoS & Web monitoring

Post by Psychic »

After a few bricks and recoveries I now have a new WRT160NL configured with Gargoyle, however I have a setup question as I can't get QoS or web monitoring to work.

I currently have a WAG160N ADSL Router as my Internet source, connected via an Ethernet port to the WRT160NL which is why I think my QoS etc isn't working as I'm not using the WAN port from the Gargoyle router.

Do I 'have' to use this port to get QoS etc working?

If so, am I right in saying that I'll need an ADSL modem for this as I can't plug my current ADSL router into this port?

Or is there a way I can use both my current routers configured in some way to let me have QoS & web monitoring/restrictions?

pbix
Developer

Re: Setup for QoS & Web monitoring

Post by pbix »

Yes you must use the WAN port on the WRT160NL to use either QoS and Quotas in Gargoyle.

The course I recommend to you is to convert your WAG160N into a plain modem by configuring it into 'Bridge Mode". This will be done by changing settings on that router. Be sure to take screen shots of every page before changing anything so that you can get back to the internet if you have trouble. I do not have a WAG160N and cannot tell you how to get it into bridge mode. Some googling or manual review on your part will be needed. I also recommend that you enable DHCP on the WAG160N if you can.

Once you have your WAG160N in bridge mode you will use the PPPoE settings on the Gargoyle setup screen. There you will also have to enter any username and password.

The other approach as you mentioned would be get a plain ADSL modem on EBay for $20.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM