Quota Throttle w/ QoS class not working

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

kwolf

Quota Throttle w/ QoS class not working

Post by kwolf »

Using v 1.5.3 - TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v1.7

When Quota is exceeded and Quota is set to throttle bandwidth and QoS is OFF, it works correctly.

When Quota is exceeded and Quota is set to throttle bandwdith and QoS is ON, it does not. I have set the classes correctly on upload and downloaded - named them both quota, 1% at load on each, no minimum bandwidth, maximum 256kbit/s. I set a test quota on this PC to be throttled after 1MB usage. Quota correctly shows I have used 100% of quota during a speed test since those use over 1MB of data, but my speed is unaffected even on subsequent connections - I'm still getting well over 8mbps on speed tests.

Upon monitoring Gargoyle, my connections are falling into other classes instead of all being put into the quota classes I setup. This appears to be a bug, since all connections from this pc after I exceed quota should be routed through the classes I set on the quota page. I tried re-setting up the quotas but that did not fix it, and neither did disabling and re-enabling the QoS on upload and download.

This is a bummer for me because you cannot set limits without using classes with QoS enabled, so I have to choose between using quotas or using QoS.

pbix
Developer

Re: Quota Throttle w/ QoS class not working

Post by pbix »

There have been no reports from other users that Quotas do not work in v1.5.3. It would probably be best if you posted screen shots so other can help you figure out what is wrong.

You should also get your QoS working first with no Quotas enabled. Checking carefully that you rules are working as you intend.

Then write your quota rules.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

kwolf

Post by kwolf »

The QoS is working fine apart from the quota issue. I did setup all my rules beforehand and tested that everything was being routed through the appropriate classes. No issues there.

The quotas work fine too except for throttling if QoS is on. If QoS is off, the throttling works. For whatever reason it is not putting the traffic of the computers that have reached quota into the QoS class I specified on the quota page.

I took some screenshots of my config. I set my quota to 1MB total for the day, made sure to exceed the quota (took a screenshot) and did a speed test. Notice how during the speed test the traffic is being put into the "Fast" QoS class (which is where it should go before I meet quota, per my rules that has all http port 80 traffic there) but not the "quota_down" class where everything should be getting routed once it hits quota. The same issue occurs with my upstream QoS class - if I'm uploading something, it's not getting put in my "quota_up" QoS class, it gets put in whatever class the traffic would normally go in... even though I've exceeded the quota and the config says to use the "quota_up" QoS class.

Speedtest showing bandwidth usage well beyond what the QoS class would be limited to if it were properly routing my traffic through it:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1799244958.png

Screenshots of my config:
http://imgur.com/NPFeE,3GR6Y,hTfxR

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Based on your report I investigated this further and see that you are correct. An error on my part led to this being broken in v1.5.3 & v1.4.6. I have corrected the file in the repo where it waits until the next release.

Your choices are three, wait until the next release that contains the fix, revert to v1.5.2 or patch your router by obtaining the file /package/qos_gargoyle/files/qos_gargoyle.init from the repo and using it to replace the file /etc/init.d/qos_gargoyle on your router taking care to rename it as I described.

Others should note that Quotas used with QoS active will not work properly in these two releases.

Thanks for your report.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

kwolf

Post by kwolf »

Copied the new file from the repo over and everything is working great. Thanks!