Data not reporting properly

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

kwoody51

Data not reporting properly

Post by kwoody51 »

I have a WRT3200 running 1.12.0

I have been streaming movies the last few days on some apple TV devices and both devices are showing as 0kb data those days when looking at B/W distribution.

If I go into Bandwidth Usage and select the IP/ hostname I can see the data used by these devices.

I just popped into these devices and ran a speed test and both registered as showing that data used when looking at B/W Distribution.

Any idea why the data used for these devices wouldn't be showing up for a few days on the B/W distribution section?

Lantis

Re: Data not reporting properly

Post by Lantis »

Can you provide some screenshots to help identify the issue please? You’ll need to upload them elsewhere and link here.

2 guesses from me:
- Apple TV’s using “privacy addresses” and changing their MAC?
- IP address has shifted due to DHCP static lease taking a while to come into effect so the records are out of sync

Otherwise we’re looking at reasons why the data isn’t persisting.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

kwoody51

Post by kwoody51 »

Lantis wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:40 pm
Can you provide some screenshots to help identify the issue please? You’ll need to upload them elsewhere and link here.

2 guesses from me:
- Apple TV’s using “privacy addresses” and changing their MAC?
- IP address has shifted due to DHCP static lease taking a while to come into effect so the records are out of sync

Otherwise we’re looking at reasons why the data isn’t persisting.
Is there something specific you'd like me to screenshot?

I setup the IP table about a week back. No shifting in MAC addresses since that time. Also looking at my connected host there has been no additional unknown host added (i.e. mac address didn't shift). These Apple TV's are hardwired.

The Apple TV's in question I can see the data usage if I look at the usage section but in the distribution section their usage isn't showing up at all, which is why it's odd to me.

Still happening now....

If I pull BW distribution by hour I will see the ATV usage but if I pull if by the day (for today) it won't register the usage for the ATV. Same thing yesterday... can see ATV distribution if looking by hour, but by day don't see data usage for ATV.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Is there day data for any device? Or are they all missing?

Next thing to check would be to restart the bwmon process

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle restart
Or similarly you can just reboot the router.

If the data does not again show in the day stats, can you please post the output of the following:

iptables -t filter -nvL | grep bandwidth
iptables -t mangle -nvL | grep bandwidth
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

kwoody51

Post by kwoody51 »

Lantis wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:16 am
Is there day data for any device? Or are they all missing?

Next thing to check would be to restart the bwmon process

/etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle restart
Or similarly you can just reboot the router.

If the data does not again show in the day stats, can you please post the output of the following:

iptables -t filter -nvL | grep bandwidth
iptables -t mangle -nvL | grep bandwidth
Data is reporting for other devices when looked at for day.

I did a reboot yesterday and was having the same issue. Data would show for ATV if I looked at the hour but not for the day time.

If I look at my day data it seems that wifi connected items are reporting normally but my hardwired items are the ones with data reporting issues (for the day timeframe).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I can’t reproduce the same type of issue on my device.
It’s also difficult to imagine how it is happening as the hour and day modules are sequential and should see the same data flows. This might suggest a front end issue. If you open developer mode on your browser of choice do you see any reported errors on the page?

If you want you can PM me the following:
/etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle stop
Grab all the files from /usr/data/bwmon
And from /tmp/data/bwmon
And the /etc/hosts + /etc/ethers files
And send those to me in a PM. You’ll need to host them somewhere I can download from.

Don’t forget to
/etc/init.d/bwmon_gargoyle start
After

The other advice would be to run a newer firmware to check if that helps.

kwoody51

Post by kwoody51 »

No browser errors I'm aware of. This tracking issue shows up via Safari or Chrome on my Mac. Same reporting with Safari on my phone or Chrome on my work PC. 3 different devices all showing me the same info (not showing data distribution for ATV by 'day' but showing data within the hour).

I'll work to get this info uploaded and shared with you. Might be tomorrow though....

I'm open to updating to 1.13, vs trying to troubleshoot this on 1.12. Is there an 'easy' way to restore my static IP table? I have ~70 devices and would prefer to not have to add them all in manually, again :)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

For 1.13, unfortunately not. The data is no longer in /etc/hosts and ethers, it's in /etc/config/dhcp
You could manually craft that config file externally if you were keen though.

Entries look like:

config host 'static_host_1'
        option name 'GarageDoor'
        option mac 'E0:4F:43:7A:11:16'
        option ip '192.168.1.31'
The host number increments, and they all get pasted at the end of the config file.

kwoody51

Post by kwoody51 »

If I wanted to update to 1.13 is this the correct file to update from 1.12?
gargoyle_1.13.x-mvebu-cortexa9-linksys_wrt3200acm-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
modified: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 08:33:40 GMT
https://gargoyle.romanhk.cz/1.13.x/1.13 ... ges/mvebu/

Also is this the latest build for 1.13?

Any key differences a non-technical user like myself may notice moving from 1.12 to 1.13? I tried to follow the threads on 1.13 but nothing was jumping out at me :)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Right file, but there is a later one here:
https://lantisproject.com/gargoyle_custom/1.13.x/mvebu/

There’s maybe a few changes after that but not a lot.
As a user, you would notice that IPv6 is now available and configurable.