Quota usage goes crazy when QoS is enabled.

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

kfmut

Quota usage goes crazy when QoS is enabled.

Post by kfmut »

Hi,

I'm using Gargoyle on my home router for few years now, primarily for even distribution of limited internet traffic through month by means of easy tuneable quotas in Gargoyle firmware(Thank you for that! :-) ).

My access is provided via ISP's 3G modem on separate router. It has always been problem with persistent connection via this cheap modem, few times a week it's been bricked without apparent reason and needed router reboot or even manual power off. Due COVID-19 stuff I'd plenty of time for visiting relatives in place were 3G connection speed is almost half of usual numbers and suprisingly that el cheapo modem worked quite reliable in same setup with two routers and almost same usage scenario. So I thought that this pal could be choking with extensive bandwidth or something similar.

I've enabled Upload and Download QoS in Gargoyle with 75% of available bandwidth measured via Speedtest CLI by Ookla. QoS rules were set per first post in this topic /phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11167 , except that ACC is off. And right after enabling QoS I've noticed that quotas usage gone crazy. If for example I'm downloading 10 megabytes pdf document it's size accouted as 20+ megabytes, If I'm starting torrent client it's accouted traffic could be anything between from 2 to 10 times more than real one displayed in client and ISP's statistic. Also on "Connection list" page numbers for individual connections are off by same amount. But "link load" for class on "QoS Download" page is on contrary is 2-3 times larger that speed displayed in torrent client, in Ookla's Speedtest CLI or in file downloading utility. Upload speed showed by Speedtest CLI was almost spot on to preset value.

If I turn off QoS in Gargoyle everything goes back to normal. Memory usage by router is always about 50%. For a moment I was thinking that QoS is counting internal LAN traffic between different devices but speed between them was OK to me.

I'm really sorry for so long description but I've no idea what is important in this situation and what else I could check :-(

Gargoyle is working on TP-Link TL-MR3420 v2, version is latest available for those routers 1.10.0

ispyisail

Re: Quota usage goes crazy when QoS is enabled.

Post by ispyisail »

Towards the end low spec devices were unstable due to lack of RAM/CPU/Flash.

Just my thoughts.............

kfmut

Post by kfmut »

ispyisail wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:59 am
Towards the end low spec devices were unstable due to lack of RAM/CPU/Flash.

Just my thoughts.............
Are you suggesting to downgrade Gargoyle version? Hm-m-m, it could be a way to go since I really don't remember why I've upgraded to 1.10.0 but I don't think it was related to some issues with older version, Gargoyle was always dependable. Since settings are anyway would be lost maybe I should reset settings in current version? Is there any difference in order of creating QoS rules or setting quotas first? Quotas shoud be created first or QoS enabled first or there no difference at all?
Last edited by kfmut on Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

If you don't care about security downgrading is an option. This could prove weather my theory is correct though.

Your best option is to purchase a currently supported router.

Having said that we don't know for sure that this is your problem?

kfmut

Post by kfmut »

I think I'll try to downgrade first, because there nothing to loose here. Thank you, ispyisail!

kfmut

Post by kfmut »

Tried to reset to defaults on 1.10.0

Basic setup + DHCP setup + QoS setup, without quotas, no luck here, traffic is calculated as 10 times more for simple download :shock: Total bandwidth for download and upload in QoS was set to 2400 kbits/s. Ookla's Speedtest CLI shows 1600-1700kbps for download and 2300-2400kbps for upload, wget shows around 50kbytes/s for download.

Screenshot of Gargoyle's connection list page and wget output for same download:

Code: Select all

drive<dot>google<dot>com/file/d/1HBqIbfNGw0pKUfcvoQVhjY9bXsDvZmmD/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HBqIbf ... vZmmD/view

Last edited by kfmut on Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

QoS is a CPU killer

Its a known problem (even with powerful routers)

When those routers were released 10 years +/- xDSL speed were normal. They worked fantastic. Now internet speeds are many times faster...........................

kfmut

Post by kfmut »

Looks like you are right, I've installed 1.8.1, same basic setup, same behavior:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DDohhx ... A9Jyg/view

Thank you for your time, ispyisail!

kfmut

Post by kfmut »

As last resort I've tried to lower total download bandwidth in QoS to 1200kbps and checked top output on the router...even if router's cpu not very loaded download connection becomes very unstable, wget makes retries almost every few hundreads kbytes. Definetly not a way to go :lol:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I3W2dT ... YU6RU/view

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

If I were you I would reset the router to default.

Run tests, then slowly add features till router becomes unstable.