mitigating upstream buffer bloat

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Bndwdthseekr

mitigating upstream buffer bloat

Post by Bndwdthseekr »

I'm having issues with bufferbloat when the upstream is saturated on 1.10. Any ideas to solve this problem? I keep lowering the 'total upload bandwidth' but am still facing issues that I didn't have with SQM/cake. I'm set to 750kbps of 1024kbps. I initially left the QOS rules intact, then stripped it down to one service class to make things more simple, but no difference.

Strangely enough it doesn't effect other PCs on the network when uploading from a separate machine after dropping the total bandwidth to allow for overhead, so I'm kind of scratching my head on this one... :?

down stream is great though, and congestion control is keeping pings pretty stable.

CBx86

Re: mitigating upstream buffer bloat

Post by CBx86 »

Hey! Your device dont support 1.12?

Bndwdthseekr

Post by Bndwdthseekr »

Its on the list, but the release firmware here won't boot after flashing. I described it more under hardware/installation issues if you're interested.

It seems to work fine with all the current openwrt versions though, so must be something unique to the gargoyle build that my specific router doesn't like.

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

Bndwdthseekr wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:26 pm
I'm having issues with bufferbloat when the upstream is saturated on 1.10. Any ideas to solve this problem? I keep lowering the 'total upload bandwidth' but am still facing issues that I didn't have with SQM/cake. I'm set to 750kbps of 1024kbps. I initially left the QOS rules intact, then stripped it down to one service class to make things more simple, but no difference.

Strangely enough it doesn't effect other PCs on the network when uploading from a separate machine after dropping the total bandwidth to allow for overhead, so I'm kind of scratching my head on this one... :?

down stream is great though, and congestion control is keeping pings pretty stable.
Keep your upload speed at your normal level and play around with the following. Bufferbloat involves prioritizing small packets so they don't get drowned out when bandwidth is maxed out, which is why it only happens within the same device as you noticed.
https://imgur.com/a/JLHCBdP

The default settings on the newer Gargoyle versions are setup like that with the following differences: fast is 90% and normal is 10%. Maximum packet length is 128 bytes.

You can play around with it. Some like it at 128, others 256, others 512. I have it set at 1270 for both upload and download QoS due to gaming and it gets an A on bufferbloat. Instead of a 90/10 ratio I've always felt more comfortable with 50/50 (just in case something with small packets flooded the connection... the last thing I want to hear is complaints about videos buffering) :lol:

You can also test bufferbloat with Fast.com, show settings and select all the options. Keep an eye on the loaded ping, that's your bufferbloat. If your settings aren't right it'll be significantly higher. Here's my example:
https://imgur.com/a/4jiGXsh

I hope that helps. It's been a while since I've used 1.10 but I'm hopeful it's the same thing with those QoS settings applied.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

thema1366

Post by thema1366 »

hi volaris can you explain the classification rules on download please

the qos 1.13 is just normal and not classification, it's right or i will do change it (download) i m play only cod modern warfare

thanks