Turned on QoS and gasped!?!

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

stuartbh

Turned on QoS and gasped!?!

Post by stuartbh »

Gargoylers,

I turned on QoS the other day and almost gasped in succession to using it. Given the "Total Download Bandwidth" is denominated in Kbps, I wear reading glasses and just generally did not pay attention to or notice its default of "1000Kbps" sent me reeling as my speed plummeted like a lead balloon, okay, a tungsten balloon!!

Might I suggest that since most of us no longer use any networking hardware that is denominated in Kbps anymore, perhaps the router's "Total Download Bandwidth" should be in Mbps, and to wit be a default of like 15Mbps?

Just an idea so people don't have a coronary when they turn on QoS and their network rots into oblivion because they don't notice it like I didn't. Now, I will be the first to say, had I read it and paid attention it wouldn't have happened, but I missed it. So why not make it easier on the user right?
Very Respectfully,

Stuart, N3GWG
Computer Scientist

Lantis

Re: Turned on QoS and gasped!?!

Post by Lantis »

The default (as of 1.12.0) is 10,000 i.e. 10Mbps for download, and 1,000 i.e. 1Mbps for upload.

We have to cater for a whole range of users, including those on very shaky mobile connections.

There is some trust that the user reads the GUI, although you are certainly not the first to show up with the problem.
I agree that there will come a time to raise this limit, but i don't feel it is just yet. We only just moved up from a default of 3Mbps (and yes, that was LONG overdue).

Perhaps @pbix will comment as well, as QoS is his module and ultimately I defer to his guidance here.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

If I remember correctly, if you disable QoS and save changes (for testing), then enable QoS again, you previous "limit" will be reset to default (10000/1000 as mentioned).

This is not really intuitive and I already got into the trap twice. I would prefer the value to be blank/undefined and mandatory (if it cannot be preserved when QoS disabled) with some text suggestions nearby.
In this case user cannot miss it and leave with inappropriate default.

Just my 2c

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I would not like to see a default that was higher than the router's actual throughput capability with QoS on. As we know that capability varies widely with router model. If someone wants to take a position that the lowest performance "supported" model is something higher I'm OK with that new number but it seems a lot of fuss for nothing. 10,000 kbps seems a good choice to me as a default.

Regarding the OP's assertion that we all are in Mbps land now I unfortunately beg to differ. Maximum data rate here at the farm in rural Virginia remains 2000 kbps DSL and I know this to be the case in many places in rural USA so those of your with broadband should be patient with your bandwidth poor fellows. I would ask you Mbps folks to please read the GUI carefully and be thankful.

Changing units to Mbps seems again ungenerous to those of us in kbps land unless decimal points where supported in this entry field.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM