I want some devices to have quota 1GB/device/day and others to have quota 250mb/device/day

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

chrisg

I want some devices to have quota 1GB/device/day and others to have quota 250mb/device/day

Post by chrisg »

Hi folks - I have a hundred devices that use the network. 30 of them are staff devices. The rest are guest devices. I want to specifically identify each staff device on the system so that it gets the higher quota or 1GB/device/day. For any device not registered on the system, I want it to automatically default to receiving only 250mb/device/day.

What I have done:
1. I assign a static IP address to each staff device. Then in quotas, for that block of IP addresses, I have set a quota for "Only the following Host(s)" to be 30GB/block of devices/day. (because it is an aggregate quota and there is no option for setting a quota per device, as far as I can see. This is a fudge, and not really suitable but it means that staff may miss out if a couple of people use up all their shared quota).
2. I have set another quota for "All Individual Hosts Without Explicit Quotas:" to be 250MB/device/day. This is good, exactly what I want. Any device that I have not entered into the system will be limited to this quota.

A (labor intensive) solution:
One possible solution would be to create 30 records in the quota section, one for each staff IP address that has a quota of 1GB, using the "Only the following Host(s)" option. But this is a lot of unnecessary extra manual work to do.

So, am I missing something? Is there a better way?

If there is not a better solution, I would like to suggest that in the Quota Controls the "Only the following Host(s):" be split into "Only the following Host(s) (combined):" and "Only the following Host(s) (individual):"

Thank you for gargoyle - it's such an awesome tool. I love it!

Warm regards,
Chris

Lantis

Re: I want some devices to have quota 1GB/device/day and others to have quota 250mb/device/day

Post by Lantis »

No tricks here unfortunately. 30 individual quotas is the way to go.

I’ll look into your other request.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

chrisg

Re: I want some devices to have quota 1GB/device/day and others to have quota 250mb/device/day

Post by chrisg »

Thanks for letting me know, Lantis, and for taking on my suggestion.
warm regards,
Chris