My QoS rules for gaming, browsing/streaming, torrents and bufferbloat

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Daeron

My QoS rules for gaming, browsing/streaming, torrents and bufferbloat

Post by Daeron »

Summary

This is a summary of QoS rules I'm currently using. My goal was to create a good all-around ruleset for gaming, web browsing/streaming and torrents. All of this without having to hunt down and specify port ranges constantly. I'm posting this to see if others would have similar success with it as well.

The original idea probably goes to orangetek's 512 byte rule, however I wanted to dig deeper to see if it could be improved and to research what kind of data you can expect from games and other sources in general. I would probably throw this in (at least parts of it) as a suggestion to improve the default QoS rules as well (of which I will be comparing my setup against).

Note that in both directions every class gets equal share. The goal is not to starve any one of them, but to give a fair chance to each type. In my experience this works out much better overall and you run into less weird edge cases. The result is that you can be doing multiple things on the same device without either service significantly affected (apart from sharing the bandwidth, obviously).

My ingame pings and bufferbloat values remained very good even with the link completely saturated. I also found the routers' setting page to remain fairly responsive under load, which normally would be negatively affected in my experience.

I mainly tested with a combination of Gargoyle's QoS settings, Wireshark, ingame statistics (ping, network graphs), DSLReports' bufferbloat test (which unfortunately seems to be in a semi functional state currently), and by starting the corresponding services to saturate the link (streams, browsing, downloads, torrents etc).

Upload direction

(Note U1 quickly filling up with download-related traffic, while gaming-related packets are kept separate in U2.)

U1: Max packet length: 76 bytes

This is probably the most important change. Separates the smallest packets (mainly ACKs, FIN, SYN) into its own class. Torrents, sites like MEGA and perhaps just downloads in general agressively max out this class. A max value of 128 would include packets used by games and therefore when this class is maxed (which it will) excessive lag and choking would appear ingame. 76 is not necessarily a magic number, but seems like a very good middle ground between capturing all the tiny packets while staying just below the size games tend to use (usually starting somewhere above 80 bytes).

U2: Max packet length: 512 bytes

This range is primarily used by games and light browsing. A max value of 128 was not enough as many of these seem to operate higher. 512 captures the overwhelming majority quite reliably. Only a small percentage is not captured and it happens occasionally.

U3: Max packet length: 1270 bytes

This class captures the occasional (maybe 1-5% of total) game-related packets that for some reason have a much bigger payload. False positives in my experience were fairly limited as larger, not realtime uploads seem to prefer values closer to the MTU (so around 1500 bytes). So this class basically sits idle most of the time.

Bulk: Default class

Captures everything else, such as large file uploads which are generally not time sensitive.

Download direction

(Note the simultaneous torrent and HTTP download traffic evenly divided between Bulk and D3. Gaming traffic is separated to D2 and D4. ACKs are in D1.)

D1: Max packet length: 76 bytes

In my experience this class does not seem as critical on the download side as it is on upload (at least with the next class in place). Needs more testing, but I might end up merging this with D2. If someone is using Gargoyle's ACC, I imagine this would be a bit more important, but I have not tested it.

D2: Max packet length: 512 bytes

Gives priority to anything smaller. This mainly includes light browsing, old games and/or low playercounts (<10 players). Since this class does not seem to be at risk of overflowing it's possible it could be merged with D1 and get essentially the same effect.

D3: Source ports: 80, 443

Captures anything bigger that uses the HTTP/HTTPS ports. This is to ensure streaming services like YouTube or Twitch does not end up buffering (for example due torrents also running) or downloads don't completely starve regular browsing. It also helps somewhat to reduce false positives in the next class.

D4: Max packet length: 1270 bytes

Valve/Source engine-based games don't fragment packets until around this amount. So older games with higher playercounts (even just 10+) or new games in general will end up in this class. Even with lower playercounts, switching between players in spectator mode will often cause a spike high enough to end up here. So unlike on the upload side, this class is definitely a necessity to capture game-related packets and depending on the game, this is where the majority of the traffic will be at all times. The downside is that false positives are much more common here than on the upload side. I have noticed that sometimes half the torrent traffic flows into this class, other times none. In either case pings remained largely unaffected ingame in my experience.

Bulk: Default class

Captures anything else. This primarily means torrents and other unknown services that you most likely don't care about, as gaming and browsing/streaming has already been prioritized (or rather, everything given a fair chance).

Miscellaneous stuff

Examples of upload packet lengths used by games:

CSS: 84-300 (99% between 82-128, 1% 128-256)
Titanfall 2 4vsAI: 78-915 (85% between 128-256, 3% over 512, 10% under 128)
Titanfall 2 5v5: 111-1270 (90% 128-256, 10% 256-512)
Titanfall 2 6v6+AI: 83-1270 (85% 128-256, 15% 256-512)
Apex Legends: 80-1269 (96% between 128-256)

Some examples of download packet lengths used by games:

CSS: 88-1242 bytes (85% between 512-1200, another game 80% 256-768)
Titanfall 2 4vsAI: 88-1270 (3% 80-128, 65% 128-512, 30% 512-1200)
Titanfall 2 5v5: 83-1270 (20% 128-512, 80% 512-1270)
Titanfall 2 6v6+AI: 83-1270 (10% 0-512, 20% 512-1260, 65% 1260-1270)
Apex Legends : 83-1270 (96% was over 128, 56% 1200-1270)

Other:

- Download packet length scales with number of players, but the upload does not (as expected).
- UDP has been used by games in all cases.
- The highest number before packets are split can be adjusted with the net_maxroutable (default is usually 1200) command in Source-engine based (Valve) games. Counter-Strike: Source ended up with 1242 bytes packets, Apex Legends capped at 1270 with the same setting.
- ACK, SYN, FIN packets were mainly 54, 60 or 66 bytes long, but have seen it go up to 90.
- You can get a nice graph in Valve games with net_graph 5
- Switching between players will often cause spikes in packet sizes:

I tested this on a fairly weak router (by today's standards), but the amount of rules did not seem to negatively affect the throughputs in my case (which are also fairly low by default). I'd be curious if removing/merging some rules would show any improvement in throughput for those with very high speed connections (at the cost of less of sophisticated QoS rules). U3, D1 and D3 could probably safely be removed without losing a lot of functionality (with the latter not being required if torrents aren't common).

pbix
Developer

Re: My QoS rules for gaming, browsing/streaming, torrents and bufferbloat

Post by pbix »

Your link is not very fast so pretty much any router will be able to keep up regardless of how many rules you have.

Thanks for sharing your results so far. Will be interested to see if you can document any improvement over the default rule setup.

Problems with gaming led me to get involved in Gargoyle QoS many years ago. I created the QoS design that would work well for gaming and VoIP. Will be interested to see your results.

Again, thanks for sharing.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

CBx86

Post by CBx86 »

I always want to ask (since i join on gargoyle):

The order of classes matters in Gargoyle?
Mine:

Default Service Class: Normal

:D
Many thanks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Order of classes does not matter. Only their percentages (which ultimately decides what piece of the bandwidth pie each class will receive in a fully saturated situation).

Order of rules DOES matter.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

CBx86

Post by CBx86 »

Many Thanks Lantis! :D
Have a nice week.

Daeron

Post by Daeron »

The original post is more or less the documentation of what I've found. Guess it's better to do a TLDR then.

I have not found the default rules particularly effective in the context of gaming or dealing with concurrent services running on the same device.

I think the problems are:

1. The packet ranges used by games (at least the ones I tested) are not properly captured by the <128 rule. For example on the upload side 90% of game traffic was between 128-256 bytes. On the download side the exact sizes vary wildly, but pretty much 90% or more traffic is also over 128. Without games getting their own class, pings suffer heavily ingame when the link is saturated.

2. I consider HTTP/HTTPS traffic to be another essential service that is worth giving its own class. This is to ensure things like browsing or streaming are unaffected by whatever else is going on on the link. In my experience it was sufficient to only create this on the download side (at least with my other rules in place).

3. Services such as torrents or downloads overflow the prioritized class with mostly ACK packets on the upload side. It's worth separating this traffic into its own class too. Not to prioritize this specifically, but to allow the other classes to breathe.

4. If there are multiple classes, I prefer to evenly distribute the available bandwidth between them. Giving one 90% opens up possibilities of that class being abused, like said ACKs taking over the majority of bandwidth (despite their small size) and other classes (such as gaming) suffering as a result. I also don't think trying to choke one specific class on purpose is a good experience, either.

I don't have hard numbers to showcase the differences between the two setups as the default becomes fairly erratic under load as different services compete for bandwidth. For example, pings ingame oscillate back and forth between 100-400, lots of lost packets as well (the vertical skips in the graph):

With my setup the pings generally range between unaffected and perhaps up to 30 additional latency (the latter due false positives from torrent traffic filling up the D4 class, which I mentioned in the original post):

I also tested ACC on and off, but I only found it a slight mitigating factor overall. It would gradually set the total bandwidth lower than what I set up manually, but would not solve the issue of different services competing for the now slightly lower amount of bandwidth. Oscillation would remain, just with a lower amplitude (pings would go slightly less high).

With better QoS one can set up a higher bandwidth cap while ensuring the critical services get processed within a reasonable timeframe even when the link is fully saturated.

So I'd like to encourage people to try my settings and see how it fares for them. I only tested a few games and I don't have that many random services running in my network to see what breaks it.

(Also, maybe give CBx86's question its own topic, as it doesn't have much to do with this one?)

imbaSD

Post by imbaSD »

I will confirm, this set-up work for me better than the default.

I am playing games mostly with my console so i made a Rule to send all packages to a separate Class and the rest Rules/Classes was same as yours and by testing works fine.
I start download via torrent ubuntu and remove limits at client and then launch World Of Tanks on-line game at my Console and whole game without any issue/lag.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dn__SC ... zYAE_/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a0TB_B ... knU95/view

My knowledge at network is limitted and like this guides are very helpfull for me, if anyone could suggest some more Rules for spesific applications or uses that would help they are welcome ;)
Last edited by imbaSD on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 @1.12

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

2 imbaSD: some of your UL ruler are wrong. It makes no sense to have destination IP address in 192.168 subnet for UL. It must be Source.

imbaSD

Post by imbaSD »

fifonik wrote:2 imbaSD: some of your UL ruler are wrong. It makes no sense to have destination IP address in 192.168 subnet for UL. It must be Source.
Oups, you are absolutely right :)
Thank you

screenshots updated
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 @1.12

Daeron

Post by Daeron »

By adding the IP specific rules you are also entirely circumventing the rest of the setup in question. I'd suggest removing them, testing again and sharing the results, then if you feel like it you can readd them. Although if those upload rules were invalid like fifonik said, you might have tested it "the right way" by accident.