1.11.0 slowdown requiring reboot

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Re: 1.11.0 slowdown requiring reboot

Post by ispyisail »

Curious, why do you think that might be related?
I just know that 8.8.8.8 is considered a safe default. (not necessarily the best)

One of my methods of fault finding is where possible use default basic setting then enable features till something breaks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I’ll try and figure out whether spamming the button cause qosmon to throw in the towel (also @pbix, any thoughts?).

I will say that it is not what the button was intended for. Your link will reset itself given the right load and time. Having to hit it “several times a day all week” isn’t right.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

My observations:
- Switched ACC ON on 11/04 (DL limit 50000, custom target 1.0.0.1)
- DL speed dropped a few times since then, however never below 8000 (my connection is 50000/20000 and speeds are stable).
- When I noticed it at about 8000, ping status was displaying as 'off'. Ping from local PC to 1.0.0.1 was 8ms. Saturated my connection as I could (using torrents) and after a few minutes the ping switched on (also displayed 8ms), however the DL speed recovering was very slow (but steady). It was increasing at speed about +15/sec. Waited about 10 minutes and it was only increased to about 16000. It would require additional 30+ minutes to get to max so I decided to hit the 'Reset Fair Link Limit' button. Speed restored instantly to ~45000 and speed tests confirmed the changes.
- In general speed was slower (I do dslreport speed tests from time to time from my PC and the slowness when ACC was ON is noticeable on history graph). Usually DL speed sits between 35000 and 40000 while ping is still ~8ms.
- So yesterday I switched ACC OFF and set DL limit back to 45000

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

The link load should not be over the link limit. The only thing I can think of that could cause this is that your CPU is saturated.

Please post a screen shot of the status page.

Also what other things are running on your router such as VPN, Tor, USB Flash drive. All these things can take CPU time.

Finally, what version of Gargoyle and what router model do you have?
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM