QoS ACC Degrades Over Time - v1.11 RC5

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

chall3ng3r

QoS ACC Degrades Over Time - v1.11 RC5

Post by chall3ng3r »

Hello,

I noticed that after being running for 12+ hours, sometimes my WRT1200AC running v1.11 RC5 degrades link speed to 1500kbps, while actual speed is set at 10000kbps.

I did the "Reset Fair Link Limit", but it remained to max 1500kbps. I waited for it to automatically return to normal max speed for about 20mins, but it stayed there at fixed value.

When router is restarted, it reverts back to correct speed, 10000kbps (10mpbs).

Yes, sometimes my ISP gets under load, and total bandwidth gets a bit low, but its not permanent. Maybe for an hour or so.

Any pointers how I can keep it to max speed I've set?

Lantis

Re: QoS ACC Degrades Over Time - v1.11 RC5

Post by Lantis »

It will climb to maximum speed if:
- your line is uncongested
- has an acceptable ping
- you demand more speed of the line

The last point is important. If ACC drives the speed to minimum, and then you left the house for 2 years and took all devices with you, it would still be at minimum when you returned. The line needs a load for it to climb again.

You can turn it off, but often ACC is doing exactly what it needs to to keep your connection in check.

Now maybe you need to use a different ping target, that’s one potential.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

chall3ng3r

Post by chall3ng3r »

Thanks for your reply and explanation,

Now I'm observing it closely, I see it go down and up. So far it was down to 7400kbps, and then as devices made internet activity, it returned to 9430kbps.

I turned off ACC, and saw speed reaching full 10mbps using fast.com speed test. Going to keep it this way and see how it performs.
Last edited by chall3ng3r on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

What is shown as your ping time limit in the ACC status section. Is it automatically calculated or did you enter a manual time limit?

Incorrect setting of a ping time limit can cause ACC to clamp down on your bandwidth.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

chall3ng3r

Post by chall3ng3r »

What is shown as your ping time limit in the ACC status section. Is it automatically calculated or did you enter a manual time limit?
It was set to auto. I didn't touch any of its settings as I wasn't sure of what they did. ACC was just enabled.

Now I've disabled it, and it seems to be going good without it.

I've set basic QoS rules, one is for bufferbloat, another for all normal traffic, and lastly slow one (max 4mpbs) for clients who do too much downloading :)

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

From your comments it seems it is working correctly. It is following your available bandwidth from your ISP. In this condition of 1500kbps lockup was either the uplink or downlink saturated? And do you have a ADSL connection?

QoS will not work without it running when your ISP becomes congested. But if you are happy then leave it off. When you have trouble with QoS not working right try turning it back on.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

chall3ng3r

Post by chall3ng3r »

In this condition of 1500kbps lockup was either the uplink or downlink saturated?
The time I noticed, there were only few devices on network, and almost all bandwidth was available to me. I did many speed tests with fast.com and speedtest.net, but both resulted in 1.5mbps max. After restart of router, it returned to regular 9.xmbps speeds.
And do you have a ADSL connection?
I have a vDSL (copper phone wire to vDSL modem) connection with 10mbps download and 2.5mbps upload speeds. WRT1200AC then connects to one of modem's LAN port. WRT1200AC is core device, all 16 to 20 WiFi devices go through it to internet.
QoS will not work without it running when your ISP becomes congested. But if you are happy then leave it off. When you have trouble with QoS not working right try turning it back on.
Yes, I am observing closely, will adjust settings if QoS gives any trouble.

CBx86

Post by CBx86 »

Find your gateway and leave 100000 ping 1/s on it.
Analyze the result looking for instabilities.
QoS use this basic procedure to balance yourself.

chall3ng3r

Post by chall3ng3r »

Thanks for your reply,

I am observing better bandwidth utilization after turning off ACC. Tested 3 devices consume all 10mbps bandwidth, and equally sharing it at max speed.

With ACC on, it mostly reached 8.x mbps max because ACC would go a little down over time, depending on ping responses.

Will post more info as I see how much impact its making. So far I'm happy with ACC off.

top_s

Post by top_s »

chall3ng3r wrote:
With ACC on, it mostly reached 8.x mbps max because ACC would go a little down over time, depending on ping responses.

Will post more info as I see how much impact its making. So far I'm happy with ACC off.
Looks like you might be having ISP problems. Very common scenario in my country. The test suggested could sort it out.

Do you game online? If you have oscilating link speed, you`ll miss ACC sometimes, specially while gaming.
WDR4300 v1 (stock)
WR941nd v2 (1.9.2)
WA901nd v2 (1.6.2)
2x WR741nd (1.6.2)

(Up to) 1gbps up/down link