Monitor VPN Data Usage

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ektus

Monitor VPN Data Usage

Post by ektus »

Is there a way to show the amount of data used by VPN clients?

I've got the router set up as VPN server and some devices as clients and would like to see the amount of data transferred to those clients. The connection passes through WAN, so it should be possible, but I can't find any relevant entries in the data usage statistics.

Lantis

Re: Monitor VPN Data Usage

Post by Lantis »

On the bandwidth usage page, you can select OpenVPN as the category or display type for the graph or table.
That should cover it
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ektus

Post by ektus »

Well, it does, but only partially. It shows the total amount for all VPN connections, but not the break down for the individual clients.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Ok. In that case:
- technically possible
- not currently written that way

It would be a bit of work to change. But the question interested me so I’ve added it to my list of things to investigate. But it will be lower priority.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ektus

Post by ektus »

Great. Take your time, I'll resort to monitoring client-side in the interim.

Setting up the VPN server and a couple clients has been pretty easy, btw. Just a couple clicks on 1.10.0 on my Archer C7. I should have tried it much earlier!

Regards
Ektus.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I think the VPN feature is very underrated by gargoyle users (which is different to VPN service providers)