ACC manual control target ping time

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

mastermindsos

ACC manual control target ping time

Post by mastermindsos »

Hello,

What is the relation between manual control target ping time vs RTT time limit?

When it is auto, I can see RTT time limit: 26 (ms) [22/26].
When I set to manual 40, I can see RTT time limit: 0 (ms) [69/123]. Where these numbers come from? Which number will be referred by ACC, 40 or 69?

What I would like to investigate is the best target ping time.
Based on the help text:
Manual Ping Limit: by entering a manual time you can control the target ping time of the active mode
Ping Time Limit: The RTT at which the controller will act to maintain fairness. [Active/Min RTT]

When target ping time is auto, the link limit will go down drastically when I am the only person active and downloading a file. The link limit will go down from 37800kbps to 25953kbps.
I could not link an image here (Error: You can’t post image, email or url links.)
When target ping time is set to 40, the link limit will maintain or reduce a little when I am downloading the file.

Another question, is it possible to automatically reset the fair link limit when congestion control status is idle?

Lantis

Re: ACC manual control target ping time

Post by Lantis »

mastermindsos wrote:Hello,

What is the relation between manual control target ping time vs RTT time limit?

When it is auto, I can see RTT time limit: 26 (ms) [22/26].
When I set to manual 40, I can see RTT time limit: 0 (ms) [69/123]. Where these numbers come from? Which number will be referred by ACC, 40 or 69?

What I would like to investigate is the best target ping time.
Based on the help text:
Manual Ping Limit: by entering a manual time you can control the target ping time of the active mode
Ping Time Limit: The RTT at which the controller will act to maintain fairness. [Active/Min RTT]

When target ping time is auto, the link limit will go down drastically when I am the only person active and downloading a file. The link limit will go down from 37800kbps to 25953kbps.
I could not link an image here (Error: You can’t post image, email or url links.)
When target ping time is set to 40, the link limit will maintain or reduce a little when I am downloading the file.

Another question, is it possible to automatically reset the fair link limit when congestion control status is idle?
When you use manual ping target, this number is added to the automatically calculated ping target.
In this case, the automatic calculation was 29 (close to the original 26 as expected) + 40 = 69.
This is the number that will be used by ACC.

No not by default, you would have to write your own script to do that. Of course the fair link limit will raise on its own when there is demand for it.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

mastermindsos

Post by mastermindsos »

Is there any suggested value for the target ping time?
I have observed, when it is auto, the link limit will not raise on its own.
I have tried by downloading a large file and made sure I am the only person using the internet. (Trying to replicate demand case)
I guess the reason is because the rtt set by auto is too low?
FYI, I am on a 4g lte network.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It will be different for all networks.
Because you are on 4G you will tend to have low latency (in general), but it will be highly variable.

If the ping is too high then the value will not increase.
Try increasing the ping time in increments until you are happy with the throughput and RTT.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Too low target ping times are the issue here not high ones.

The automatically calculated ping times are the recommended ones. You should not attempt to use lower ones. You can try higher ones if you are having issues.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

CBx86

Post by CBx86 »

For a while (months) i hack ACC trying get a better response (from my unstable low bandwidth connection, pppoe), modifying scripts, values from qosmon, rules, my best results:

Leave all scripts in default;
My gateway as ping target;
Leave control target ping time in auto.

Them i leave it alone. :P

But always is valid try to make improvements. :D

mastermindsos, maybe i shroud change the QOS rules to improve what you need/want.

mastermindsos

Post by mastermindsos »

pbix wrote:Too low target ping times are the issue here not high ones.

The automatically calculated ping times are the recommended ones. You should not attempt to use lower ones. You can try higher ones if you are having issues.
Yes I agree with your point.
Gargoyle seems to help with keeping the ping low for my gaming need.
So at the moment I have a target ping time manually set to 40 instead of using the auto calculated one which was calculated at 26. (Now, RTT time limit: 116 (ms) [62/116])
But the problem I am facing is, the link limit will never go back to the original perhaps because 40 is still low?
It would be useful if the link limit can be forced automatically back to the original based on the IDLE status or on a scheduled time (eg: every morning).
I have created a feature request and hope that developer can consider it.