Load balancing internet feeds and QOS

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

dsalch

Load balancing internet feeds and QOS

Post by dsalch »

I am going to be setting us a new internet feed, and would love to use gargoyle to accomplish this, but I am unsure how these things will interact...

The setup:
Incoming internet feed will be two separate DSL lines, one 15/1.5 and one 10/1 (mbps). These two feeds will be connected to a linux system running zeroshell for load balancing. The combined feed leaving the linux router/load balancer will be beamed via wifi bridging to be the feed for a gargoyle wifi router.

At the wifi router running gargoyle, local systems will connected as well as some remote systems vie wifi bridging. This will all be a single subnet on the gargoyle router.

The Goal:
use gargoyle for 2 purposes.
#1 - bandwidth protection for specific streaming services. This is top priority. I currently do this in a simpler setup and have rules to accomplish this well enough.
#2 create a sort of "local ISP" where the remote customers have a guaranteed minimum bandwidth, but allowed to access up to the available max if no one else is using it.

I assume that the "BW minimum" setting of gargoyle QOS can accomplish #2, and I have rules that accomplish #1. the problem is... the load balancing. how will that interact with the rules in gargoyle. it is a session based load balancing, so each session will be limited to the max of whichever line it is assigned to, and they are not equal!

I could work out a way to assign sessions from certain customers to a particular dsl line, if necessary, but would much prefer to allow them to float across both for optimum bandwidth.

ideas?

ispyisail

Re: Load balancing internet feeds and QOS

Post by ispyisail »

I could work out a way to assign sessions from certain customers to a particular dsl line, if necessary, but would much prefer to allow them to float across both for optimum bandwidth.
Gargoyle does not sadly have a captive portal feature

You can limit bandwidth by MAC address (device) only.

So it will do what you want but not as well as you would like

dsalch

Post by dsalch »

I'm confused...

Couldn't I set a group of IPs into a class, and then set the class limits to control them as a group? I'm confused on what functionality is missing.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

It sounds fine to me.
What you’re going to struggle with is the fact that you have asymmetrical connections upstream.

I can’t resolve in my head whether you want to use the combined total as a limit (I don’t think so) or the lowest of the two (most likely).
This obviously wastes part of your upstream bandwidth.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Incoming internet feed will be two separate DSL lines, one 15/1.5 and one 10/1 (mbps).
didn't read the whole post

sorry

dsalch

Post by dsalch »

That is the dilemma.

load balancing is done on a per session basis
QOS seems to work on a total aggregate basis of all traffic within a class

If the maximum BW is set to the total BW after balancing, then a single session would never activate the QOS, since that single session would be limited by the single physical DSL line.

If the maximum BW is set to the total of a single DSL line, then it would become impossible to spread a single class across both DSL lines to full combined bandwidth.

If there were 2 sessions running at max, load balanced, theoretically each would be assigned a different DSL line, so then the problem becomes unbalanced max bandwidth, do we use the 10/1 or 15/1.5 ?

My biggest worry is that the most important item to use QOS to protect is in fact the single stream up/down for video stream. So, the most important becomes the most difficult.