Republic wireless QOS rules

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

dsalch

Republic wireless QOS rules

Post by dsalch »

I could use some help designing some rules to set the traffic from our wifi enabled phones to fall in the VOIP class of the default rules. here is the official page outlining the port usage:

https://forums.republicwireless.com/t/r ... ling/11062

The port range is HUGE, so that seems an issue?

Lantis

Re: Republic wireless QOS rules

Post by Lantis »

Why not set the wifi phones to static IPs and use that as the criteria?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

dsalch

Post by dsalch »

I actually did that... Both phones have static ip. The problem is that the phones are also primary web browsing / facebook tools. I need that traffic separate from voip.

Ironically the voip traffic is tiny compared to browsing traffic on these phones. But still, I really need a way yo put only voip service. Because this must coexist with my video streaming traffic (discussed in another thread).

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

All you can do is trust those port numbers provided and hope for the best.
As you said it is a very wide range so it is bound to pick up other traffic, but hopefully it won't be too bad. Experimentation will yield the best results here.

If you knew the packet size was always around a certain number you could use that as a criteria
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

dsalch

Post by dsalch »

Thanks... I set up some rules, will see how it goes.

Would be nice, just thinking , to have some sort of traffic reporting logsbased on packets or qos designation. Not sure what would make this type of exploration easier, but food for thought.

oliver

Post by oliver »

dsalch wrote:Thanks... I set up some rules, will see how it goes.

Would be nice, just thinking , to have some sort of traffic reporting logsbased on packets or qos designation. Not sure what would make this type of exploration easier, but food for thought.
The VOIP stuff is all UDP. Could you have rules based on UDP versus TCP?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The connection list page shows this active connections and their qos class

dsalch

Post by dsalch »

yes, and that is very helpful to see the list of connection. But on a busy network it's fairly difficult to find all relevant connections. Would be nice to have some sort of filtering ability... maybe by IP or port or class ?

Good news is, i think the rules I have set up are working sufficiently.. using udp for the wide range of ports for only the ip's in question.

encro

Post by encro »

dsalch wrote:yes, and that is very helpful to see the list of connection. But on a busy network it's fairly difficult to find all relevant connections. Would be nice to have some sort of filtering ability... maybe by IP or port or class ?
I'd love to see this too, it would be amazing for diagnosing QoS Class or Rule Issues. IP filtering would make it significantly better.
Netgear WNDR3700v4 (N600) - Gargoyle 1.14.x
D-Link DIR-835 - Gargoyle 1.7.1 (Deceased)
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

encro wrote:
dsalch wrote:yes, and that is very helpful to see the list of connection. But on a busy network it's fairly difficult to find all relevant connections. Would be nice to have some sort of filtering ability... maybe by IP or port or class ?
I'd love to see this too, it would be amazing for diagnosing QoS Class or Rule Issues. IP filtering would make it significantly better.
+1 to this.

If you could please post this as new feature request, that'd be really helpful. You could also elaborate a little bit further as how this would useful to you, how's your workflow using Gargoyle, and so on. If more people jump in, reporting the same need, there's a good chance (not guarantee) it might get implemented in future builds.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1