Help with VOIP (magicjack) QOS?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

gelliss

Help with VOIP (magicjack) QOS?

Post by gelliss »

I've searched through a lot of threads trying to figure this out and QoS confuses the heck out of me. :)

I've just cut my phone cord and am using a magicjack. It works well so far but i'm trying to figure out how to set Gargoyle to prioritize the magicjack traffic without limiting anything else. I tried using the default QoS upload and download settings but that severely limits downloading.

What I want is to have full bandwidth for other things while at the same time if a phone call is made, it will get priority while the call is in progress.

Can anyone tell me the best way to do this?

d3fz

Re: Help with VOIP (magicjack) QOS?

Post by d3fz »

This would probably fall into the same scenario of online gaming, where it should get priority over other devices when the link is congested.

Take a look at this tutorial and see if it can get you started.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

gelliss

Re: Help with VOIP (magicjack) QOS?

Post by gelliss »

This would be VOIP wouldn't it?

I tried using Volaris's simple QoS setup from here:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11167

I have an advertised 100/10 Mbit connection which usually gets 118000/11000 kbps on the Okla speedtest. I deleted all default rules and created just a normal Service class with 100% bandwidth and zero minimum and no limit for max.

I set total bandwidth to 118000 in download QoS and 11000 in upload QoS. The problem is with QoS enabled and I download via sftp or run the Okla speed test again I only get about 60-70% of my total speed even when nothing else is using bandwidth. In order to get full speed via Sftp I have to set the total bandwidth way higher than what I actually have and I know you're not supposed to do that.

I thought QoS only split or throttled bandwidth when necessary but maybe i'm wrong?
I'm trying to understand what i'm missing.