Monitoring too slow

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

kabi

Monitoring too slow

Post by kabi »

Hello

Recently I've tried to play a bit with my oldish TP 1043v1 router. I've checked several 'recent' firmwares (manage to even brick and then get route back to live with 'tfpd' without serial port wiring - which was tricky - since my board pins are already useless).

Visually Gargoyle looks nice - but I've couple problems - in this thread I'd like to know how to 'speedup' bwmon. My net provider gives me >150mbps - I manage to get >70mbps over wifi (not sure if it can be even better) - but ONLY ~100mbps for LAN. When I turn bwmon off - I get full >150mbps over LAN.

Looking at 'iptable -L' there is A LOT of lines - so I'm not surprised routed can't keep with speed of network when connected with LAN cable - probably to slow hw - I can accept that - but couple questions now:

1. Can I switch bwmon for LAN off and keep it only for WiFi ?

2. Can I strip of 'too detailed' config - i.e. instead of having 10 bandwidth IP streams - cutting down to just 3 - i.e. quoter-hour/day/month ?

3. Why GUI is not providing any control even over On/Off ?

Lantis

Re: Monitoring too slow

Post by Lantis »

Your hardware is too slow to route data that quickly and do the monitoring as well (as you've discovered).

1. bwmon does not monitor LAN or WIFI traffic. It only monitors the WAN connection (regardless of source/destination)

2. I suppose you could, but it is not a supported operation, and you would need to modify it yourself to do so.

3. Gargoyle's key use is to provide powerful monitoring tools. These are an integral part of Gargoyle and not designed to be turned off. You can switch them off manually using init.d
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

kabi

Post by kabi »

Lantis wrote:Your hardware is too slow to route data that quickly and do the monitoring as well (as you've discovered).

1. bwmon does not monitor LAN or WIFI traffic. It only monitors the WAN connection (regardless of source/destination)
Hmm would it be possible to 'add' iptables then not on WAN connection but only on Ath0 ?

So instead of monitoring all WAN interface - bwmonitor only what goes via Wifi - and keep LAN completely bypassing bwmon ?

Ideally with some GUI 'switch' - note I'm not an expert network programmer (doing mainly some storage stuff myself) - so it would probably took me considerably more time to build this myself - unless there is some 'good' HOWTO how to get into own building - but eventually I could spare some hours on this in case...
Lantis wrote:2. I suppose you could, but it is not a supported operation, and you would need to modify it yourself to do so.
How hard this could be ?
Can I just experiment dropping some lines and checking the speed when it meets top-speed ?

There are tons of lines - is there some 'Gargoyle doc' documenting why they are there ?

Lantis wrote:3. Gargoyle's key use is to provide powerful monitoring tools. These are an integral part of Gargoyle and not designed to be turned off. You can switch them off manually using init.d
Yep - I know - as said - I do like it for quite detailed' insight view who is 'eating' too much WiFi ;) but most of the time I actually don't care - I'd need this 'traffic' monitoring only when chasing some problem rather just then for collection of data I don't actually care about them that much next day :)

Anyway - I could probably look more closely at LEDE ? is there some monitoring package 'remotely similar' to what Gargoyle provides - so I could bother LEDE folks :) instead of you ?

kabi

Post by kabi »

kabi wrote:
Lantis wrote:Your hardware is too slow to route data that quickly and do the monitoring as well (as you've discovered).

Hmm would it be possible to 'add' iptables then not on WAN connection but only on Ath0 ?

So instead of monitoring all WAN interface - bwmonitor only what goes via Wifi - and keep LAN completely bypassing bwmon ?
Quoting myself - but just my naive question :?: Why not take packet counts directly from subdir: /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/netdev:wlan0

All the stats info seems to be there - and it'd be just a background task with low priority reading them and collecting and diffing at the best speed it can manage ?

It does look like iptable as heavily duplicated logic on top of this ?

I assume for QoS incoming/outgoing traffic it may have some use - but for 'cheap' statistics all info is already at hands from kernel ?

Yeah I know it's probably not a Gargoyle topic, but if the Gargoyle is about providing stats details - there can be CPU cheap 'less precises' variant if something needs to be presented....