Over throttled quota in v1.10

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

cpucpu

Over throttled quota in v1.10

Post by cpucpu »

This is my procedure:
1) Firstboot, setup pass, wifi, adblock, ...
2) set QoS download: d-throttle 17% zero 380
3) set QoS upload: ....u-throttle 17% zero 10
4) Set Quotas:

The issue is that navigation is very slow for throttled devices. It seems that the cuprit is that bandwith is being under delivered:

With 1 only active device under the quota, I expect it to have available the full 380 Max BW (kbps). Instead Load (kbps) randomly flows (e.g. 30, 65, 101, 70, 200, 105, 69, ...).

The device IS trying to pull content. I have tried other devices simultaneusly, but still the router isn't delivering the corresponding load. I've throttled before in v1.9.2 with no issues.

Archer C7 v2, Gargoyle v1.10

Lantis

Re: Over throttled quota in v1.10

Post by Lantis »

1. You’re dealing with kiloBITS per second. A very small unit. I think you’re under dimensioning. 8 kiloBITS = 1 kiloBYTE
2. The internet is a 2 way street. If you give someone a 1 gbit/s download but only 10 kbit/s upload, the connection is going to choke. There isn’t enough bw to send back the ACK packets.

I think your solution is to increase upload throttle to at least 100 kbps, but then acknowledge that this will be painfully slow (was that what you intended to achieve?). If this fixes the issue you may be able to experimentally drop the upload figure a bit.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

cpucpu

Post by cpucpu »

My connection is ADSL: ~3.5Mbps Down, ~.2Mbps Up
I tether the connection to neighbors. DHCP by default assigns IPs in range 101-249, so I quota that range. Then I can cherry pick IPs out on that range by static assignament.

Anyways, thanks you were right, I removed the upstream cap and the QoS (download) is being met. Before It couldn't even open the wikipedia.

PD: I knew that when you browse and GET stuff, somehow you upload as well, but what could possibly those ACK packets contain so that the conection stalls?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Essentially:
You- I would like your website
Server- here is my website
You- I have received your website (transmission fails for whatever reason)
Server- here is my website
*repeat*
Server- connection is terminated (no ACK)

This is a very simple representation of a very complex protocol but that’s the gist.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.