QoS Download Speeds

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Re: QoS Download Speeds

Post by ispyisail »

no point adjust any setting if you router is overload

Fix the overload problem then start changing settings.

Solution to overload problem

Get a bigger CPU

or

Slow your internet down

(in your case probably half of your current line speed. Others have already suggest this. )

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

ispyisail wrote:
Just what QoS is supposed to prevent?
QoS will not work as expected if your router is overloaded (random things will happen)

Nothing works as expected if its overloaded

1 = overloaded
All this discussion gave me an idea of an extra info field on the ACC section: CPU Load. Even though this info is already present on "Status" page, keeping it all on the same section might be helpful when tracking/diagnosing this kind of "problem".

Screenshot example:

Thoughts?
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

To the average user 0.83 means not much?

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

I thought that CPU load value is measured in ... percents %-)
As a result, I never really looked at these low numbers.
Thanks to this discussion, now I'm aware.

P.S. It would be nice if CPU load values higher than 0.8 (for example) are displayed in red.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

fifonik wrote:I thought that CPU load value is measured in ... percents %-)
As a result, I never really looked at these low numbers.
Thanks to this discussion, now I'm aware.
Those values used to confuse me as well, until I found out that CPU load average values in Linux are shown in a "different" way.
P.S. It would be nice if CPU load values higher than 0.8 (for example) are displayed in red.
That's a good suggestion, it would be helpful as well.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Just what is QoS suppose to prevent?
QoS enforces the rules. When QoS is not working because its not enabled, improperly configured or the CPU is overloaded then the rules are not being enforced uniformly and there is no fairness.

I think the idea of the one minute CPU load on the download page is a good one. But things should work pretty well until we get to 1.0 so I would make any color change only if it goes over 0.99. This is the definition of an overload CPU.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

pbix wrote:
Just what is QoS suppose to prevent?
QoS enforces the rules. When QoS is not working because its not enabled, improperly configured or the CPU is overloaded then the rules are not being enforced uniformly and there is no fairness.
You misquoted me. You added an "Is" but I probably wasn't clear. I meant isn't the whole point of QoS to stop any one thing from hogging all the bandwidth and prevent lag?

At any rate, what you're saying and this thread convinced me reinstall the stock TP-Link firmware in order to use hardware NAT and take stress off the cpu.

This is in no way a criticism of Gargoyle. I love all the extra options. The ad-blocking plugin was a favorite and I think the interface is way better than the stock firmware. I'm sure QoS is too but all that said, I can't justify cutting my bandwidth in half in order to keep it stable. Especially when bandwidth speeds where I am are supposed to double shortly. That means i'd need to set QoS to 1/4 of the speed I'm paying for.

With the latest stock firmware, hardware NAT turned on and using the built in "Bandwidth Control", my speeds are much closer to my maximum and bufferbloat tests A.
I wish I had a way to monitor and test the cpu load to see how much stress hardware NAT takes off it. All the monitoring statistics are another way Gargoyle is better.

I think I'll save some money and buy a better router if I want to use Gargoyle.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

yeah......

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

ispyisail wrote:
yeah......
I like that Linksys WRT32X you mentioned Lantis was working with. I will need to read up on the top routers when the time comes. It would be nice if money was never important and we didn't have to worry about price/performance ratios. :)