QoS Download Speeds

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Lantis

Re: QoS Download Speeds

Post by Lantis »

You’re using ACC right?
It’s just ACC doing its job.

You’ll notice that the ping limit for ACC is probably quite low (less than 10ms if I had to guess). It’s just not possible on your connection to maintain that ping limit at your speeds.
With the manual ping limit, try setting it to 20 (20 will be added to your regular entitlement, so you’ll end up with ~30).
Your download speed won’t drop as aggressively, because that ping will be sustainable.

There will be a point where your ping is reasonable, and your bandwidth is able to be fully utilised, but ACC can still control your link if it becomes congested.

Provide a screenshot of your ACC status beforehand, change it and do the same tests and report back. It should be much better
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

Lantis wrote:You’re using ACC right?
It’s just ACC doing its job.

Provide a screenshot of your ACC status beforehand, change it and do the same tests and report back. It should be much better
yes, ACC was turned on. Here's the beforehand when I was getting about 70 down.

I then set Manual to 20 as you suggested and saved but download speeds didn't change. I then turned ACC off completely and speed shot up to near 100 again.
Bufferbloat was great too but I've seen seen this before. I make some change and think I have it sorted then do a testa few hours later or the next day and speeds are back in the dumper again.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

I'd also try a different ping target IP (e.g. 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1), as my gateway IP (default setting) didn't work quite well.

Another thing that might be interesting to take a look at is:

Try measuring your internet speed through speedtest.net app/site (as DSLReport won't let you switch tabs) while looking at ACC doing it's job, probably lowering your link limit as your ping increases. That might give you a better idea of what's actually happening.
Last edited by d3fz on Thu May 17, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

d3fz wrote:I'd also try a different ping target IP (e.g. 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1), as my gateway IP (default setting) didn't work quite well.
I've tried that too. It all seems so hit or miss. Like I said, I think I have settings that are working great then a few hours later the download speeds have gone to pot. I wouldn't really care that much but I download quite a bit with sftp and am used to full speed. Having the speed cut by over half is pretty noticable.

I'm confused what exactly QoS does by itself if ACC isn't turned on? What are the advantages or disadvantages? I realize these questions are probably old so if anyone can just point me to threads to read up on it, that's ok. :)

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

gelliss wrote:I'm confused what exactly QoS does by itself if ACC isn't turned on? What are the advantages or disadvantages? I realize these questions are probably old so if anyone can just point me to threads to read up on it, that's ok. :)
QoS Next Generation
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Need a screenshot of you flogging the connection while it is cutting the bandwidth to see what is going in ACC.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

Lantis wrote:Need a screenshot of you flogging the connection while it is cutting the bandwidth to see what is going in ACC.
This screenshot is while downloading a 2GB file via SFTP with nothing else using the connection. I'm getting about 8.5Mib/s Normally, without QoS at all I'd get 13+.

This test is just after turning ACC on again and setting the manual ping and non-standard target. The problem I'm seeing is over a period of hours, I'll probably be lucky to get 6-7Mib/s on the downloads and speedtests will also fall from around 90-100 down to the 60-70 range.

For all I know, maybe this is all perfectly normal and if I want to use QoS, I'll just have to live with that much of a loss in bandwidth? QoS and ACC seem to work very well for getting rid of bufferbloat on dslreports tests.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Are you able to show the same information when it has dropped?

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

Lantis wrote:Are you able to show the same information when it has dropped?
Here's the same ACC settingsabout 8 hours later: I'm now downloading at about 6.3MiB/sec on my download site. I turned QoS off, and tested again and the same site jumps to 13.5MiB/s. Nothing else on my network is currently using bandwidth.

Here's my memory and cpu load while I was downloading with QoS and ACC enabled. Is this high? d3FZ mentioned in another thread that it could just be my Archer C7 and if I want better performance out of QoS, I'll need a better router.

And thanks for the continued help. I'm just trying to figure this out. I seem to have better luck with QoS if I leave ACC turned off.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Your last post shows your CPU time is over 1.0 on your router and you have saturated your CPU. Everything becomes unpredictable in this situation.

To confirm cut your download speed (on the QoS download page) in half and you should see that your performance is then stable in time. That will confirm for you that you need a faster router.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM