QoS Download Speeds

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

gelliss

Re: QoS Download Speeds

Post by gelliss »

pbix wrote:Your last post shows your CPU time is over 1.0 on your router and you have saturated your CPU. Everything becomes unpredictable in this situation.

To confirm cut your download speed (on the QoS download page) in half and you should see that your performance is then stable in time. That will confirm for you that you need a faster router.
Thanks for the feedback. I will try that next. I think I'll just have to accept losing that much speed if I want to use this router with QoS and ACC enabled. I turned QoS off again and downloaded the same file that earlier did between 6 and 7MiB/s with QoS and ACC. Without those, my speed was back to 13+MiB/s and the cpu only got up to .87 till the file finished. So quite a bit of difference.

Ok. Just tried your scenerio with QoS and ACC on, but total bandwidth changed from 160000 to 80000. CPU still climbed to well over 1 and at one point was higher than with bandwidth set to 160000. I guess I'll have to keep experimenting with it.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Your post shows your CPU is overloaded at 86Mbps so you have not done yet anything different CPU wise.

Half of 86Mbps is 43Mbps. Please enter 43Mbps on your download page. If the CPU is still saturated try 20Mbps.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

pbix wrote:Your post shows your CPU is overloaded at 86Mbps so you have not done yet anything different CPU wise.

Half of 86Mbps is 43Mbps. Please enter 43Mbps on your download page. If the CPU is still saturated try 20Mbps.
It doesn't get near 1.00 when total download bandwidth is set to 43000 kbits and QoS and ACC on. Of course, that means i'm losing 2/3 of my bandwidth. So I'm not sure what I will do.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

It doesn't get near 1.00 when total download bandwidth is set to 43000 kbits and QoS and ACC on. Of course, that means i'm losing 2/3 of my bandwidth. So I'm not sure what I will do.
Its a known problem with fast internet speeds.

I don't have one but its reported that the new linksys routers can handle the higher bandwidth.

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... ed_routers

I notice Lantis is working on Linksys WRT32X

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11614

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

ispyisail wrote:
Its a known problem with fast internet speeds.
That's what I've become aware of just lately. I've run Gargoyle for a long time but never bothered with QoS till about the last week and wasn't even aware of "Bufferbloat"

I appreciate everyone's input as I realize a lot of this has likely been asked and answered many times before. :)

When downloading large files my router's cpu load has probably always been quite high. Is it best to always keep it under 1.00?

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

When downloading large files my router's cpu load has probably always been quite high. Is it best to always keep it under 1.00?
yes

The problems started when people started getting fiber connections

xDSL connections Gargoyle worked perfect

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

ispyisail wrote:
yes

The problems started when people started getting fiber connections

xDSL connections Gargoyle worked perfect

I get it now. I didn't think 100/10 speeds were considered very fast nowadays. 1GB is already here even if I wouldn't pay what they want for it.

I think I was just expecting QoS to do more than is possible with my Archer C7 router. I'm not going to worry about the cpu. If it dies, it dies. :)

My connection is over-provisioned to 118 down and 11-12 up but 100000 and 10000 seem to work ok in QoS so far other than the cpu load. I seem to get a better combination of speed/bufferbloat with ACC turned off which I still don't understand.

This is my current speedtest with QoS on but ACC turned off. I'm trying to figure out if there is any advantage to using ACC if it lowers by download speed my another 20-30Mib or if using QoS by itself is good enough? Both cause much higher cpu usage.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I'm not going to worry about the cpu. If it dies, it dies. :)
Its not your router that you should be worried about.

Its the unstable internet speeds that will result.

gelliss

Post by gelliss »

ispyisail wrote:
I'm not going to worry about the cpu. If it dies, it dies. :)
Its not your router that you should be worried about.

Its the unstable internet speeds that will result.
Now i'm confused again. You mean lag, not speed, right? Just what QoS is supposed to prevent?

I've never noticed a speed loss when downloading via sftp at a maxed out speed. That's the only time the cpu load is great. Using QoS slowed my download speed by quite a bit so I was assuming the rest of the bandwidth was going to be available to other things? If that isn't the case, I might as well leave it off.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Just what QoS is supposed to prevent?
QoS will not work as expected if your router is overloaded (random things will happen)

Nothing works as expected if its overloaded

1 = overloaded