Multiple routers connected together?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

dafez

Multiple routers connected together?

Post by dafez »

Hello all,

I have a very limited (5/1) internet connection where I live, but am now getting a 200GB plan.

For whatever reason, QoS wouldn't work well so I have had to set up usage quotas of 1MB and then after that 1MB is reached the bandwidth gets throttled.

I am getting a package with more data, and what I would like to do is limit the monthly amount of data that can be used by her....the problem is that she has more than 1 device, so I'm trying to figure out how I can divide up 50GB.

I am wondering if I can have one gargoyle router connected to another.

The second one would be where the tenant connects, and have a monthly over data quota.

Would that work?

porkypete

Re: Multiple routers connected together?

Post by porkypete »

How about allocating a group/series of IP's to your tenant's devices, and then you can put all of them into a single quota...

the linked example would set a shared quota to a range of 16 IP's from 192.168.1.48 to 192.168.1.63. In the DHCP setup you would set these 16 IPs' to the tenant's devices...

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AuQmTPgTbzgoksMrmF8k0PtDl4nsOA

dafez

Post by dafez »

I guess the difficulty is that
1) QoS is broken...For whatever reason classes aren't working, so everyone gets grouped as "normal."
2) The only way I can have the QoS rules enforced is by setting a quota and then once the quota is reached the throttle will enforce the QoS
3) I'm not sure how to assign her devices static IP addresses

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

dafez wrote:I guess the difficulty is that
1) QoS is broken...For whatever reason classes aren't working, so everyone gets grouped as "normal."
2) The only way I can have the QoS rules enforced is by setting a quota and then once the quota is reached the throttle will enforce the QoS
3) I'm not sure how to assign her devices static IP addresses
I doubt that its broken, more likely a setup issue.

Have a look here
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... _scenarios

Static IP

dafez

Post by dafez »

Ok folks I'm at my wits end. I've spent a good 4 hours today on this and even flashed the new Archer C7 V2 that I purchased.

I assigned IP's to every device. I created a range for the monthly quota.

I STILL cannot get user classes to work.
5000kbits/s (I have a 5mbps connection)
Normal - No maximum, so speedtest.net shows a 5mbps speed. That is the default class.
Tenant - 2500kbit/s maximum. Assign IP addresses with that class. speedtest.net STILL shows a 5mbps download speed.
Kids - 500kbit/s maximum. Assign IP addresses with that class. speedtest.net STILL shows a 5mbps download speed.

If I go and change the default class to Tenant, or Kids, the maximum download speeds, regardless of the class the IP is assigned to, will be the default class.

I've reviewed the scenarios, but they don't seem to apply in this specific instance because it's not a port that I'm concerned about.

It must be something I'm doing wrong.....because this is happening on
TP-Link Archer C7 V2 (Latest Gargoyle Version)
Linksys WRTAC1900 V1 (Latest Gargoyle Version)

Any help is appreciated!

fifonik

Post by fifonik »

How about posting some screenshots? :)

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Post some screenshots of your QOS settings to an external site (e.g. imgur) and Link them here.
Hopefully it will provide some info and we can get you on the right path.

Also, you’re confident that the static IPs you’ve set have been taken by the devices? If the device already had a dhcp address, it can take 12 hours (default timeout period) before the router gives it the correct address.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

dafez

Post by dafez »

Thanks for the reply gents......I'm confident the IP's took because I checked the devices themselves and made sure the IP showing on the device was the IP I assigned.

I will post some pics in the morning....it's bedtime for me!

porkypete

Post by porkypete »

Another handy place to look is under Status -> Connection List. Here you will see the QOS service classes allocated. Your problem is likely to be how you are categorizing these classes.... But, screenshots are the best for us to be sure....

dafez

Post by dafez »

A minion snuck into our bed and began snoring away lol....

I just did as Porkypete suggested and looked under the connection list after doing some testing with my cell phone.

The QoS up/down does NOT match the class that is assigned under the classification rules page.