Minimum throttle bandwidth

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

logger

Minimum throttle bandwidth

Post by logger »

Hi I need some advice on what throttle bandwidth setting will hobble my users wihtout totally making their connection unusable.

In my home we have a miserly 45GB per month at 25MBs during daytime hours so I need to ration carefully. So I have set daily quotas to ~ 300mb each user.

Can someone give me a guide as to what Throttle speed will give very slow but working connection for email and webrowsing but would make video impractical. Is 20 kBytes/s about what I would need.

Lantis

Re: Minimum throttle bandwidth

Post by Lantis »

Do you have Chrome installed?
If you press F12 to open the developer menu, then go to the Performance tab, click the cog in the top right.
You can set the Network speed. Create a custom speed with the restriction you think might work and see if it meets your needs.

I just tried out 160kbps (20kByte/s) like you initially suggested.
It took 17s worth of page loading alone to navigate from my home page to your forum thread. That was a bearable but frustrating.
A youtube video at 360p quality took about 30 seconds to buffer, but then it played fine at this resolution.

This one might be a bit of try and see and experimentation. But please post back with what settings you ultimately decide on, it may help someone else in the future.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

logger

Re: Minimum throttle bandwidth

Post by logger »

Thanks Lantis, yes I do use Chrome so I have done as you have suggested and am testing to see how things go. I had no appreciation of the conversion ratio between kbps kByte/s either so thanx for pointing that out too.
So far the 20kByte/s is looking workable.