QoS for internet radio

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

faber

QoS for internet radio

Post by faber »

Hi!
I have one 1043ND working as gataway to a cable router and as WDS-AP, an another 1043ND working as wireless WDS-Client and an 860RE, also as wireless WDS-Client. All of them on Gargoyle 1.10.0. All of them have wireless-APs activated.

I am very happy with Gargoyle, coming from factory firmware (working but limited range and therefore speed, also much need for -manual- rebooting) and DD-WRT (could not made WDS working on that).

My only issue while installing WDS was the note "must be outside AP subnet" on the Connecion / Basic / Wireless Bridge/Repeater page. This is meant for Client Bridge mode, not for WDS... At WDS, they have to be on the same subnet... I made them static and told the main 1043ND about the static addresses.

Another issue is, Status - Connected Hosts -Connected Wireless Hosts shows the two WDS-Clients as connected over 5 MHz, which can not be.

So now, everything works, except that the internet radio has hiccups sometimes. What should I do, how should I diagnose?
The radio has no LAN, only wireless, and is connected through 860RE.

I made radio have static IP and set QoS for that IP for download and upload on the main 1043ND and on the 860RE. It still hiccups. Total bandwidth is about 8 - 10 Mbps up- and download. Bandwidth monitoring shows interruptions at the time of the hiccups, without other connections at that time, so I don't think it is a bottleneck issue, except maybe on the wireless part, but how to diagnose that? I have never seen CPU load exceeding 0.3 on any of the routers. I put even Min RTT in the QoS rules.

Of course it can be radio-server issue, but how do I diagnose that?

Lantis

Re: QoS for internet radio

Post by Lantis »

faber wrote:My only issue while installing WDS was the note "must be outside AP subnet" on the Connecion / Basic / Wireless Bridge/Repeater page. This is meant for Client Bridge mode, not for WDS... At WDS, they have to be on the same subnet... I made them static and told the main 1043ND about the static addresses.
Are you saying the help text is incorrect in WDS mode? I think you are right, just want to confirm, and then i will fix it.
faber wrote:Another issue is, Status - Connected Hosts -Connected Wireless Hosts shows the two WDS-Clients as connected over 5 MHz, which can not be.
Do you mean 5GHz? If so, this has been fixed in the latest code. It is purely a visual bug.
faber wrote:So now, everything works, except that the internet radio has hiccups sometimes. What should I do, how should I diagnose?
The radio has no LAN, only wireless, and is connected through 860RE.

I made radio have static IP and set QoS for that IP for download and upload on the main 1043ND and on the 860RE. It still hiccups. Total bandwidth is about 8 - 10 Mbps up- and download. Bandwidth monitoring shows interruptions at the time of the hiccups, without other connections at that time, so I don't think it is a bottleneck issue, except maybe on the wireless part, but how to diagnose that? I have never seen CPU load exceeding 0.3 on any of the routers. I put even Min RTT in the QoS rules.

Of course it can be radio-server issue, but how do I diagnose that?
I would guess that it is interference causing a momentary drop out. But it would be hard to diagnose any of these problems
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

faber

Re: QoS for internet radio

Post by faber »

Lantis wrote:
faber wrote:My only issue while installing WDS was the note "must be outside AP subnet" on the Connecion / Basic / Wireless Bridge/Repeater page. This is meant for Client Bridge mode, not for WDS... At WDS, they have to be on the same subnet... I made them static and told the main 1043ND about the static addresses.
Are you saying the help text is incorrect in WDS mode? I think you are right, just want to confirm, and then i will fix it.
Well, on that page there is a drop down menu with choices "Connect via WDS" and "Connect via Client Bridge". For the choice "Connect via Client Bridge" the help text should be perfectly fine. WDS means all clients (including bridges) are on the same subnet, and I always had my WDS-bridges on the same subnet, so... But I am little more than a noob, maybe somebody else should confirm that.
Lantis wrote:
faber wrote:Another issue is, Status - Connected Hosts -Connected Wireless Hosts shows the two WDS-Clients as connected over 5 MHz, which can not be.
Do you mean 5GHz? If so, this has been fixed in the latest code. It is purely a visual bug.
Sorry, I meant it says 5GHz instead of 2.4GHz. The router has only 2.4GHz. That is only on the WDS-AP. WDS-Bridges show correctly 2.4GHz for the same connection.
Lantis wrote: I would guess that it is interference causing a momentary drop out. But it would be hard to diagnose any of these problems
Thank you. Maybe if I make an another device streaming over the same wireless (additionally to the internet radio traffic), I would see if only internet radio traffic is being interrupted at those moments or both at the same time. I'll try that and report.