QOSMON v2.3 Released to repo (ACC)

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Re: QOSMON v2.3 Released to repo (ACC)

Post by ispyisail »

update

I had to disable QOS (default setting) because it made my twitch viewing buffer?

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

ispyisail wrote:I had to disable QOS (default setting) because it made my twitch viewing buffer?
Did you use QoS before the new default rules? Would you mind sharing your previous (probably custom) rules for comparison?
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

d3fz wrote:
ispyisail wrote:I had to disable QOS (default setting) because it made my twitch viewing buffer?
Did you use QoS before the new default rules? Would you mind sharing your previous (probably custom) rules for comparison?
I did not use QOS because I could never get it to run nice.

I thought I would give it another go.

Normal web browsing it was/is fantastic

Knomax

Post by Knomax »

Thank you..i install it.Qos works pretty well with my custom rules.

mgoo

Post by mgoo »

@ispyisail
does twitch viewing still buffer, if you enable QOS, but disable ACC, all when having sane total up/down bandwidth figures set ?

-mgoo

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

mgoo wrote:@ispyisail
does twitch viewing still buffer, if you enable QOS, but disable ACC, all when having sane total up/down bandwidth figures set ?

-mgoo
Just did some tests and both methods work perfect now?

Will keep monitoring

mgoo

Post by mgoo »

@ispyisail
to me it seems as if twitch streaming servers have load issues relatively often, and sometimes reconnecting several times may hit a better server in their pool.

btw, it looks like your ACC ping target is placed within your lan? this should preferably be one of the first hops on the isp side instead, one that reliably responds to icmp pings.

-mgoo

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

mgoo wrote:btw, it looks like your ACC ping target is placed within your lan? this should preferably be one of the first hops on the isp side instead, one that reliably responds to icmp pings.-mgoo
This. Definitely important to get it right. By default, it points to your gateway, which might not be the best option in every single case.

Good alternatives are the well known DNS servers, like Google or OpenDNS. I have mine set to a specific NTP server from my region, which is pretty stable and has been working great so far.

mgoo

Post by mgoo »

@d3fz
comparing my own advice to ispyisail with yours, currently it seems ping responses from my isp gateway fluctuates noticably more, than the ping responses from my preferred dns server. I have located a public ntp server within my isp network, and I see the same relatively low variation in response.
hence, as it seems this isp's routers prioritize routing-through icmp, over responding to icmp requests themselves, which seem very logical, your advice is certainly the better.

-mgoo

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

mgoo wrote:currently it seems ping responses from my isp gateway fluctuates noticably more, than the ping responses from my preferred dns server. I have located a public ntp server within my isp network, and I see the same relatively low variation in response.
Exactly. Even though the average ping responses from the gateway were way lower (<20ms) if compared to other alternatives (e.g. Google DNS, >60ms), I noticed that under heavy load, the ping responses from my gateway showed values somewhat "unrealistic"? Like it wasn't being the best "reference" to indicate/detect whether my line was fully congested or not. I don't know if I'm making myself clear, but I hope you get the idea.

It's also important to notice that this is my case, so it might not apply to everyone.

I took this screenshot just now, as I was hammering my connection to the limits by torrenting and streaming Spotify. You can also notice ACC being awesome and keeping my average ping low, as usual. :D