Question: Combining three quotas

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

tcpmux

Question: Combining three quotas

Post by tcpmux »

So, I have this difficult management situation where I need to make sure one device (a VoiP phone) needs to have at least 32kbps accessible to it at all times (up and down), on a system that has 256x1024kbps bandwidth. Also, I know the system is going to be overloaded with users, so I am trying to negotiate bandwidth between probably 4 or 5 users at a time :shock: and need to make sure that one or two users doesn't steal all the bandwidth from the other 3 or 4.

In theory, I'm thinking I combine a "All Individual Hosts without Explicit Quotas" quota (to keep one person from hogging bandwidth) with a "All Hosts Without Explicit Quotas (Combined)" quota (to keep everybody as a whole under 224x992), and then use an unlimited "Only the following Host(s)" quota on the VoiP phone to ensure it is not affected by the previous two quotas.

But is that really going to do what I am hoping?

tcpmux

Re: Question: Combining three quotas

Post by tcpmux »

Just tried it, and it only allows one "without explicit quota" entry.

Daeron

Re: Question: Combining three quotas

Post by Daeron »

Sounds like a job for QoS instead.

1) Give your phone a static IP on the "Connection/DHCP" page.
2) On the "Firewall/QoS (Download)" page create another class called "Voip Phone". Don't bother with limiting the bandwidth yet.
3) Add a new rule: Source IP - the one you gave to your device. Set service class to "Voip Phone".
4) Start a call and see if the traffic shows up in the corresponding class. If so, take a note how much it actually uses and whether that sounds reasonable (and you didn't accidentally capture something else or nothing at all with your rule).
5) If everything seems to be in order, you can go back to editing your "Voip Phone" class and setting a Maximum Bandwidth limit generously over what you expect the phone to ever want to use.
6) If everything is still good, repeat steps 2-5 on your "Firewall/QoS (Upload)" page. Note that this time you want to set your rule using Destination IP.

Note that you will need a second class where everything else can fall into by default. Set no restrictions on this and set it as the "Default Service Class" on both your Upload and Download pages.

Hopefully you can set up total bandwidth and other option on these pages, if not, this is a good read to start with:
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos