Default QoS Rules Contest **Complete**

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Knomax

Re: Default QoS Rules Contest

Post by Knomax »

You can replace the first rule for WOW....etc...
Specific ip...protocol tcp. ;)

Basic...you can change the first rule at your needs of gaming..just set specific ip or port.

aioyups

Post by aioyups »

I think prioritizing port 80/443 already a good suggestion since it's widely used. Most of the families only want their browsing/streaming/voip smooth. They won't yell when their download slow but when their browsing/streaming/voip slow then you'll hear voices everywhere.

Here is my Upload rules suggestion:
  • Fast: Packet length <128 (50%)
    Web: Port 80/443 (25%)
    Slow: Anything else (25%)
Here is my Download rules suggestion:
  • Fast: Packet length <128 (25%)
    Web: Port 80/443 (50%)
    Slow: Anything else (25%)
Reasoning:
  • Based on internet survey most of users use internet for browsing/streaming/social networking so I think classifying port 80/443 which is commonly use is wise decision to make sure everything is running smoothly.
  • prioritizing packet length < 128 is good not only for SYN ACK but also good for voip since mostly voip use smaller packet size
  • Most ISP for home usage gives upload speed only 10-20% of download speed, so I give upload fast 50% to make sure that voip and SYN ACK packet get a full priority and not dropped. Not used bandwidth will be equally shared between other classes anyway.
  • In download rule I put web class 50% higher than other class to make sure any family member won't yelling their streaming got buffering while we torrenting or downloading anything.
  • Fast class in download rule in reality won't even hit 10%, it's purpose only to make sure voip and SYN ACK packet not dropped. Not used bandwidth will be equally shared between other classes anyway.
With these rule I can browsing, torrenting even voice chatting at the same time without any problem at all.
The only problem is only when torrenting and gaming at the same device and at the same time (but who does that anyway).

Generally seperating torrenting and gaming seems impossible for me since they both work in >150 bytes packet length with many various ports too. only specific rule will help but then it'll be off-topic. Just my opinion though.

mrpink57

Post by mrpink57 »

I've tried most of these configurations and so far the KISS method that Volaris has suggested has worked best across the board.

Comcast 65/5 setup with a WRT1900AC v1 and a Arris Modem.

My setup from him is as follows:

Code: Select all

Upload:
Fast Class 90%
Normal Class 10%
128 bps = fast class

Download:
Normal Class 100%
This has been fine for use with two users that own

2x roku
MBP
Macbook
iPad
2x iPhone
NAS torrent box
Shield TV (do a lot of Geforce Now streaming)
She is not yelling at me she cant watch Netflix, so a win in my book.

For my mother on her Charter 20/3 setup I have as follows:

Code: Select all

Upload:
Normal Class 100%

Download:
Normal Class 100%
The biggest bandwidth device in her place is a roku ultra that is connected via wifi. Just watching anything on this device will kick ACC to active. With the default old gargoyle rules she would always get a start stop start on PSVue but now is just plays at 1080p with no complaints.

What I have learned from using gargoyle over the years is your upload is what you need to focus on not so much your download.

encro

Re: Default QoS Rules Contest **Complete**

Post by encro »

One final thought regarding the <128 Priority rule before it gets pushed into a final build.

Shouldn't we be limiting this to just TCP traffic only since that's what the SYN/ACK's are?

With it handling both UDP and TCP I seem to be getting some slightly wierd timing issues in first person shooters where I'm not hearing the bullets or damage being reflected in game immediately. With the rule removed or restricted to TCP only it behaves relatively normal.
Netgear WNDR3700v4 (N600) - Gargoyle 1.14.x
D-Link DIR-835 - Gargoyle 1.7.1 (Deceased)
Manual set up for PIA's OpenVPN in (Private Internet Access): https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9129&p=45410#p45410

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Also what about setting the default ACC ping to Google DNS?

I'm having good result so far

mgoo

Post by mgoo »

@ispyisail
having used your 22-dec build for a little while, and many thx for providing these exp-releases.

not 8.8.8.8 but with ACC ping target being manually set to my preferred (and local to my country) DNS, so far it seems to work very well for me, total bw generally staying relatively close to link limit, which it certainly did not before, as compared to having used my isp gateway as ping target (the default with my setup).

Also, with the new updated ACC in the 22-dec exp release, the congestion link limit / fair link limit values meassured by ACC are much closer to my isp connection max, and ACC is much faster to recover.

-mgoo

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

ispyisail wrote:Also what about setting the default ACC ping to Google DNS?

I'm having good result so far

I've always set the ping destination to either Google DNS, Quad9, or OpenDNS. Leaving it to my ISP seems to break ACC at times (and I use a big ISP in the US; Comcast). It's almost as if pings to Comcast IP are exempt from speed cap because the ping remains low even when the line gets saturated.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Volaris wrote:Leaving it to my ISP seems to break ACC at times (and I use a big ISP in the US; Comcast). It's almost as if pings to Comcast IP are exempt from speed cap because the ping remains low even when the line gets saturated.
That was my case as well (different ISP), ping remaining low even when the line was fully saturated. ACC would still work, but not at its best, as I happened to find out later after changing to an alternative ping target.

@Volaris, you seem to know a lot about QoS. There's an ongoing discussion about the effectiveness of alternative ping targets vs gateway (default). Would you mind sharing some thoughts on the subject?

Thank you.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

GargoyleNoob

Post by GargoyleNoob »

Great for controlling b/w and helping with bufferbloat, but time-sensitive games still feel delayed even with a special rule just for my game's traffic on a WDR3600 w/ 1.10.x

Edit: These settings are rather beastly for gaming: https://gyazo.com/23d83aca8fca0111a4fd8303eb044faf

Same settings on upload.

tals

Post by tals »

GargoyleNoob wrote:Great for controlling b/w and helping with bufferbloat, but time-sensitive games still feel delayed even with a special rule just for my game's traffic on a WDR3600 w/ 1.10.x

Edit: These settings are rather beastly for gaming: https://gyazo.com/23d83aca8fca0111a4fd8303eb044faf

Same settings on upload.
This might just be the winner for me. I love the simplicity of the original settings but when I put them in and had a steam download occurring it absolutely massacred the connection for everyone else. It appears that steam upload uses the fast connection (<128k) and the download goes on the normal.

So as above I then put in a service class fastest effectively a spacer - 5% on both the upload and the download and although it is noticeable - bearing in mind it is using the full capacity it is almost lag free, To an extent this doesn't make sense, my suspicion is the issue is on the upload.

On the upload settings I had a 600k (normal/fast) and that was experienceing extreme lag with the steam upload. I now have a 700 (normal/fast/fastest) and I am getting minimal lag.

Any thoughts. I can post screen grabs as required - they basically just show the connection maxing to the 600 or 700 (less 5%)

** My build is 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707 so pbix's new build

** just tried going into League of legends with full steam download going on same machine. I have never been able to play lol in this state before. Ping with the spacer setting is around 80-90 (compared to 40 with no download) this is a massive result for me. Normally the ping is all over the place and will be in the 100's and even 1000's if a download on steam is taking place
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)