QOS with an Extender

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

mrroute

QOS with an Extender

Post by mrroute »

I have an Extender which half my clients connect thru. I set QOS up according to Volaris's post here...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7261&hilit=archer+c7+v2

Will each client connected thru the Extender get the proper QOS? What about the Extender itself?

Volaris

Re: QOS with an Extender

Post by Volaris »

mrroute wrote:I have an Extender which half my clients connect thru. I set QOS up according to Volaris's post here...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7261&hilit=archer+c7+v2

Will each client connected thru the Extender get the proper QOS? What about the Extender itself?
Glad the QoS setup is working for you!

It depends how the network extender is setup. If it's just a repeater and the gateway (your main Gargoyle router) is assigning the IP addresses when connected to the repeater... then QoS should work normally since Gargoyle is doing all the work, and the repeater is just acting as a dumb repeater. Using this method, your Gargoyle router sees and lists all the devices connected via your extender.

The method above is how my cheap TP Link repeater works and QoS works great on it since Gargoyle takes care of that.

But if the network extender is assigning its own DHCP IP addresses, then QoS won't work well because your main Gargoyle router won't see/list all the devices connected to your extender... it'll just see the network extender as one device... if that makes sense. So Gargoyle will only allocate 1 device's worth of bandwidth to the extender, and all the devices connected to the extender will have to fight for that bandwidth.

So in a way, make sure your network extender is setup as a repeater and that you put in the Gargoyle router's IP address (by default 192.168.1.1) as the gateway that's handling DHCP IP and DNS requests. If you need help, take screenshots of the extender's configuration page and we might be able to help.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

I do know what you mean and that's what I was curious about. The extender doesn't hand out IPs, it just extends the wifi. It's a RE-4100W. Sometimes I see mostly all the bandwidth being used by one user. I'm trying to attach an image but I'm getting a message "the board's attachment quota has been reached."

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I'm getting a message "the board's attachment quota has been reached."
use remote hosting like imgur.com

I use greenshot also

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

mrroute wrote:I do know what you mean and that's what I was curious about. The extender doesn't hand out IPs, it just extends the wifi. It's a RE-4100W. Sometimes I see mostly all the bandwidth being used by one user. I'm trying to attach an image but I'm getting a message "the board's attachment quota has been reached."
As long as nobody else is trying to use all that bandwidth, one person on the extender can use up all the bandwidth they want.

One way to test this is to start a big download on one device that's connected to the extender (Ubuntu ISO, torrent, HD video download, etc -something that'll use max bandwidth for a few minutes) then run a speed test on your phone/tablet. Assuming nobody else is using the Internet, your speed test result should be around half the available bandwidth.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

I sometimes see in the bandwidth distribution table, all the clients dividing the bandwidth equally. However, more times than that I see unequal distribution. Maybe someone will be using 65%, another may be using 5%, and two others using 15% each. Is this normal?

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

mrroute wrote:I sometimes see in the bandwidth distribution table, all the clients dividing the bandwidth equally. However, more times than that I see unequal distribution. Maybe someone will be using 65%, another may be using 5%, and two others using 15% each. Is this normal?
Could be, depending on the web activity happening.

The 65% might be downloading a big file, the 5% one might be doing a VoIP call, the 15% ones might be just browsing the web...

If you really want to test that out, you have to maximize the bandwidth being used by all 4 devices... such as by downloading a big file/torrenting, etc. If they're all trying to use all the bandwidth, they should each get one fourth of the bandwidth.