Quotas May Not be working!

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

chadycom

Quotas May Not be working!

Post by chadycom »

Hi Guys,
I have a monthly quota of 50GB (Free from midnight to 6AM). we live in a remote area so my ISP installed a wireless device and from that device we get a PPPoE (username/password) connection via an Ethernet cable.

My kids were consuming the 50GB before the end of the month when I was using a normal router. After doing a lot of researches on the net seeking a solution to control the quota I discovered Gargoyle. So i went spending days to find an old router in the market and i got me a TP-Link N600 TL-WDR3600. I flashed it with the correct firmware successfully and setup the PPPoE connection and the router is performing as i should however....

There is a Traffic web page where we see our quota usage. It is provided by our ISP and the report reads and displays what my account is using.

So on 1st of June i set the quota to be Daily 1.5Gb except hours 00:00 to 06:00, Daily Quota Reset at 06:00, when exceeded Throttle BW to 300Kb/s (enough to only send whatsapp but no gaming or watching vids online).

After 3 days i check the Traffic web page i see usage of 3GB and more in a day. So I thought it may be a time issue and what i did was removing the time exception and have the daily quota set for the entire 24Hours. Today i check, i see usage of another 3.5GB happening yesterday.

Unfortunately I am not sure why i am not allowed to attach screenshots to this post. but can anyone help me understand why is this Quota thing is not working properly as it should?
Last edited by chadycom on Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tapper

Re: Quotas Not actually working!

Post by tapper »

Hi do you have the Ethernet cable going in to the wan port or a lan one? If it is going in to a lan port it will be bypassing the firewall and there for quotas can not work.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Your DSL modem should have a web page. They often also collect statistics on the data passing through the modem. I would suggest comparing this data to what is recorded by Gargoyle and your provider.

You can learn how to access your modem here:
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... &s[]=modem
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

chadycom

Post by chadycom »

tapper wrote:Hi do you have the Ethernet cable going in to the wan port or a lan one? If it is going in to a lan port it will be bypassing the firewall and there for quotas can not work.
No no of course in the WAN port.

chadycom

Post by chadycom »

pbix wrote:Your DSL modem should have a web page. They often also collect statistics on the data passing through the modem. I would suggest comparing this data to what is recorded by Gargoyle and your provider.
That's what i was referring to in my post. the usage report and all details from the web page show over exceeding the daily quota i set in Gargoyle.
This is the page screenshot (replace xxx with com) https://drive.google.xxx/open?id=0B1bDR ... DE3WDdXU1k
This is the 1st setting i did on June 3, screenshot https://drive.google.xxx/open?id=0B1bDR ... XhneWsweTA
and this is the 2nd setting i did on 5th of June
https://drive.google.xxx/open?id=0B1bDR ... U1xNHhZREE

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Are you sure it's not working? According to my calculation, even at your restricted limit, you could still pull 20GB down in 18 hours.

Are you confusing kBps and kbps?
If you do the same calculation in kbps you could only pull 2.5GB in 18 hours.

I understand that the limit isn't 18 hours, but extrapolate the data.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

chadycom

Post by chadycom »

Lantis wrote:Are you sure it's not working? According to my calculation, even at your restricted limit, you could still pull 20GB down in 18 hours.

Are you confusing kBps and kbps?
If you do the same calculation in kbps you could only pull 2.5GB in 18 hours.

I understand that the limit isn't 18 hours, but extrapolate the data.
Hi Lantis,
Let me try to understand this right. By setting the throttle to 200 kb/s upload and 300kb/s download they can still pull 2.5GB?
Also, you just made me notice that the speed throttle selection in Gargoyle is kBytes/s! that's 8 times the kb/s am i right? oh shit lol

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes big difference :)

At 300kbps download speed, if your connection was being 100% saturated your users could still do
300kbps
60seconds x 60minutes x 18 hours = 64800 seconds
64800s x 300kbps = 19440000kb (2.43GB)downloaded in 18 hours

This should be fine for your limit.

300kB/s
60seconds x 60minutes x 18 hours = 64800 seconds
64800s x 300kB/s = 19440000kB (19.44GB) downloaded in 18 hours
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

chadycom

Post by chadycom »

Thanks!!
Here is what i did already yesterday.
I set the throttle to 19kB/s upload 13kB/s download hoping to see this happening:
from 12Midnight to 6AM: Free internet
From 6AM to 12 Midnight: we got 18 hours
- Regularly they will use the net during 14 hours
- normal usage they would consume 1.5GB in 10 hours
- This leaves them with 4 hours at throttle speed, they barely can use 200MB which is ok

I will see if this works and update.
thanks for all the help!

Volaris

Re: Quotas May Not be working!

Post by Volaris »

Do you know what's using up your data? If it's Netflix, you can set video quality to low in account settings. If it's Youtube, you can go to settings and set it so it doesn't auto-HD. Perhaps you can have your family disable app auto updates on their phones and tablets. Enable the ad-blocker on Gargoyle if you haven't already. If there's someone who just streams video all day, perhaps limit their device to 1Mbps so it doesn't stream HD video... or any streaming devices for that matter. Torrent/game downloads? Try to find a way to schedule those after midnight. Lots of options you can try to reduce data usage.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.