Preventing manual IP addresses overriding quota ranges

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

spudstrawb

Preventing manual IP addresses overriding quota ranges

Post by spudstrawb »

Hi
I've been a happy gargoyle user for quite a few years now. I initially came across it when looking for a way to stop my teenage son using way more than his share of the internet monthly bandwidth. Once I got my gargoyle router set up with DHCP setting fixed ip addresses based on MAC addresses, plus a whitelist and a blacklist, I was able to control things fairly well. Each person in the family has whitelisted devices for the internet, ip addresses doled out by the gargoyle router, and an ip range that is used to control their own monthly quota. My son has now worked out though that he can set a fixed ip address on his PC wifi adaptor and make use of someone else's monthly quota. Is there a way that the router can reject a device if the MAC address and ip address don't coincide with what is set up on the DHCP page for the router?

ispyisail

Re: Preventing manual IP addresses overriding quota ranges

Post by ispyisail »

what version of gargoyle?

spudstrawb

Post by spudstrawb »

It was 1.9.0 but I'm just in the process of upgrading to 1.9.2.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Have you tried "Enforce DHCP assignments"

spudstrawb

Post by spudstrawb »

I did notice that when I was going through and entering my settings last night, so I ticked it in the hope that it would solve my problem. I've given it a test this morning and it does seem to do the job. It let my 2-in-1 connect to the gargoyle router but it didn't provide internet access. So it seems to be working.

Thanks for your help ispyisail and thanks again to yourself, Eric and the others for such a great bit of firmware.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I understand it may not be perfect?

Please report any findings

Thanks

spudstrawb

Post by spudstrawb »

Please report any findings
Will do.

spudstrawb

Post by spudstrawb »

Just reporting back on this. I noticed today that the router's list of connected hosts included my daughter's iphone, even though she wasn't at home. Checking the MAC address of the device when she did get home indicated that it wasn't her iphone at all. It was my son's iphone and he'd put in a static ip address on it (the ip address of my daughter's iphone as per the dhcp settings in the router). This is running 1.9.2 on an Archer C7, with "Enforce DHCP assignments" ticked. The connected hosts list was showing the name of my daughter's iphone, and the IP address for that, but with the MAC address for my son's iphone.

I've told my son that his phone is now blocked for a month as a penalty. I will have to monitor in the meantime to see what happens.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I had a similar problem once

In the end I used bitdefender

Have a look at family pack.