Upload QoS ignoring Source IP Field?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

flashfir

Upload QoS ignoring Source IP Field?

Post by flashfir »

*I'm not new to this, I've setup QOS on 1.8.1 successfully and I'm setting it up now on 1.9.x*

It seems that Gargoyle is incorrectly classifying some traffic as my QoS Upload Class: "Games" when I've only specified it to come from my source IP of 192.168.1.30

As you can see, I've set it up only to flag very specific upload traffic from 192.168.1.30 to be classified as games

But this is where that small purple amount of traffic is coming from

Can someone help me interpret what's going on? Am I misinterpreting or is there something buggy with this and I should blow everything away again and retry?

If I were to ignore this, it seems the implications would be that I would always be in congestion control mode :?

Lantis

Re: Upload QoS ignoring Source IP Field?

Post by Lantis »

I think as a first step you should reboot the router. It's possible one of the class tags is stuck against too many things.
As long as your config is right (looks ok) a reboot should start it right.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

flashfir

Post by flashfir »

Lantis wrote:I think as a first step you should reboot the router. It's possible one of the class tags is stuck against too many things.
As long as your config is right (looks ok) a reboot should start it right.
Awesome thanks for the quick reply. That makes the most sense now that you mention it. "did you reboot it?" :roll:

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

flashfir wrote: Awesome thanks for the quick reply. That makes the most sense now that you mention it. "did you reboot it?" :roll:
By the way, did a reboot fixed the problem ? That was strange indeed.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

flashfir

Post by flashfir »

d3fz wrote:
flashfir wrote: Awesome thanks for the quick reply. That makes the most sense now that you mention it. "did you reboot it?" :roll:
By the way, did a reboot fixed the problem ? That was strange indeed.

Nope, still have some slow classes even though it's clear not marked as such. I created some classes AS slow, then I modified each of those rules to be under my "GAMES" rule... so I don't believe I should see those.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

flashfir wrote:Nope, still have some slow classes even though it's clear not marked as such. I created some classes AS slow, then I modified each of those rules to be under my "GAMES" rule... so I don't believe I should see those.
Weird.

What if you place all of your gaming rules on top of the match criteria table ? Does that solve the problem or makes any difference ?

That's how i setup all of my gaming rules, on top of everything.

Hmmm just noticed that your "Default Service Class" is set to "Games", while the default setting is "Slow". Was that intentional ?

flashfir

Post by flashfir »

d3fz wrote:
flashfir wrote:Nope, still have some slow classes even though it's clear not marked as such. I created some classes AS slow, then I modified each of those rules to be under my "GAMES" rule... so I don't believe I should see those.
Weird.

What if you place all of your gaming rules on top of the match criteria table ? Does that solve the problem or makes any difference ?

That's how i setup all of my gaming rules, on top of everything.

Hmmm just noticed that your "Default Service Class" is set to "Games", while the default setting is "Slow". Was that intentional ?

Wow, I honestly thought that field was just for applying rules. Nope. It's for default service class when nothing matches the rules. :lol: :o

I think that fixed it. I'll report back if there's anything interesting to report in terms of what I would think is a bug or some unexpected behavior. Thanks for pointing that out, onwards!

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

flashfir wrote: Wow, I honestly thought that field was just for applying rules. Nope. It's for default service class when nothing matches the rules. :lol: :o

I think that fixed it. I'll report back if there's anything interesting to report in terms of what I would think is a bug or some unexpected behavior. Thanks for pointing that out, onwards!
Correct.

That was probably the reason.

Although, i still highly suggest that you place all of your gaming rules on top of the match criteria table, as QoS rules priority goes from top to bottom.

The way your rules are currently set, QoS is giving priority to http download (youtube streaming, for example), instead of your game.

flashfir

Post by flashfir »

d3fz wrote:
flashfir wrote: Wow, I honestly thought that field was just for applying rules. Nope. It's for default service class when nothing matches the rules. :lol: :o

Correct.

That was probably the reason.

Although, i still highly suggest that you place all of your gaming rules on top of the match criteria table, as QoS rules priority goes from top to bottom.

The way your rules are currently set, QoS is giving priority to http download (youtube streaming, for example), instead of your game.

Isn't priority based on the classes rather than the order? I know the order matters in terms of classification, it's like PEMDAS in math, you do your parenthesis first, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction.

But the rules you have setup for classes are truly what matters. Games has higher priority and has minRTT activated when it's there.

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

Good point.

I believe i've seen this discussed before, that's why i pointed it out, not sure now if it was Gargoyle's QoS so.. :lol:

I'll post here if i find anything related to that.