File uploads slows my wife's video streaming

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

alex3137

File uploads slows my wife's video streaming

Post by alex3137 »

Hello

My device is a WR1043ND. I have a cable connection, 100 mbits down, 6 mbits up. Here is my simple scenario:

- my wife watches a videos via some streaming sites. The average bandwidth measured is 1200 kbps down / 50 kbps up.
- I want to upload lots of files on my Amazon Drive which saturates the upload link

When I start uploading, my wife's movie hangs. I believe it's because the upload link is saturated. I can see download to her PC drops to ~500 kbps even though there is no other traffic.

I only have one class so IP distribution should give an equal share to everybody. But I think my wife's doesn't get the upload bandwidth required so her down link is slowed down.

I also tried to create an upload class with a minimum of 100 kbps reserved to her IP and it doesn't improve the situation. As soon as I resume uploads, movie streaming will hang on her computer.

Any idea ?

pbix
Developer

Re: File uploads slows my wife's video streaming

Post by pbix »

My guess is that you need to reduce the total upload bandwidth entered in the QoS Upload screen. If that number is too large QoS cannot work for you. You did not post a screen shot so it is difficult to say for sure. Start by putting in 3Mbps and see if that works. Then increase it until it breaks.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

alex3137

Re: File uploads slows my wife's video streaming

Post by alex3137 »

Thanks, my upload was indeed configured above my real limit !