Help needed explaining drastic speed loss when using two gargoyle routers

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

larcy

Help needed explaining drastic speed loss when using two gargoyle routers

Post by larcy »

OK here's a strange one. Two linked gargoyle routers.

Router 1 is upstream and configured as an client to a wifi network as its WAN.
Router 1 is connected to router 2 via an ethernet cable
Router 2 is downstream and configured as an access point serving out wifi to various clients

I’ve used this configuration many times before with no issues on performance (maybe a few percent degradation on speed)

This particular installation for some reason suffers greatly on speed. If I connect to the upstream wifi network using a hi powered USB adaptor I can get 12MB (which is not far short of the quoted speed of this connection from the ISP). Using exactly the same antenna and position but using the dual gargoyle router set up, I can get no more than 1MB, a greater than 90% loss in speed. This is the only site I get this problem on, other sites with exactly the same configuration experience at most a 10% loss when using the dual gargoyle router configuration compared to using a direct hi powered USB adaptor

I’ve got no quota’s or QofS switched on, the two routers are on different wifi channels, and there isn’t significant congestion on wifi in this location.

Devices are TL-WR1043ND and TL-MR3420. Gargoyle version is 1.9.1 on both

Anyone any ideas that could point me in the direction of where to look for the problem

ispyisail

Re: Help needed explaining drastic speed loss when using two gargoyle routers

Post by ispyisail »

TL-MR3420. Gargoyle version is 1.9.1
4MB router problems?