Unexplainable lag

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pkm

Unexplainable lag

Post by pkm »

Been trying to figure out this phantom lag phenomenon thats been going on and i have found the problem but not quite sure of a solution.

Youtube viewed from mobile has an unexplainable lag to it. It uses port 443 but i notice that 95% of the traffic is through the UDP protocol while very little of it is transferred as TCP. This is weird because google tells me that all youtube uses is TCP. No idea where this UDP traffic is coming from.

Well i tried a lot of things, i tried limiting bandwidth to this port, i have tried giving almost full bandwidth, tried putting the 443 port at the top of the QOS priority list and tried putting it at the bottom, but still there is this "phantom lag" going on while its in use.

http://imgur.com/a/VJR58

Here you can see that all pings are normal and ACC does not detect anything unusual, and the link isn't even fully saturated. But in-game and web browsing and general use of the internet are just so sluggish. In battlefield the soldiers are just constantly rubber banding and jumping all over the place, same deal with rocket league and pretty much any other game i play. Ping is normal, but there is this lag going on. Even though i have rules in place for them (tried also with and without minrrt). Seems no matter what, if someone is using youtube on android it will completely bog the connection down.

tapper

Re: Unexplainable lag

Post by tapper »

Hi never seen this. What router and what ver of Gargoyle? Have you tried resetting and testing with stock settings?
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

pkm

Re: Unexplainable lag

Post by pkm »

WDR1043v2 with 1.9.1 currently, its always been a problem (even with previous versions) but it was very difficult to track and isolate what it was.