Quota for Guest Wifi?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

kiwiandy

Quota for Guest Wifi?

Post by kiwiandy »

Is it possible to set a quota (or a seperate quota) for the Guest Wifi network?

mrpink57

Re: Quota for Guest Wifi?

Post by mrpink57 »

So I am not a pro at Gargoyle just yet and have a lot to learn but here is how I set this up.

All my devices in my home all have a dhcp lease so they always get the same IP, this IP is outside of the pool I have assigned which is 25-100, so for me that means any device that gets a 25-100 is not a device of mine (I have a guest network setup which pulls from this pool).

So my quota for this pool than is set to 5gb up/down per day, so anyone in the 25-100 that is connected and can somehow manage to get 5gb of up/down out of me gets bumped in to the slow class after that.

kiwiandy

Post by kiwiandy »

Thanks very much for your reply.
That is essentially what I have ended up doing, although it does mean if the guest users have 5 different devices they can use 25GB, which is not an ideal situation, but manageable.

mrpink57

Post by mrpink57 »

Actually how I understand it is that pool of 25-100 shares that 5gb total? So if I have 75 users on at the same time they would each get 68.28mb per IP.

kiwiandy

Post by kiwiandy »

No each ip gets the full quota so if the quota is 5 GB each ip address will get 5GB.
THats why I would prefer to set the GB limit on the guest network.

mrpink57

Post by mrpink57 »

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=quotas
From readings here it says if you set a range it would be say 1gb for that entire range not each IP.