Upload data usage high during normal browsing

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

ektus

Upload data usage high during normal browsing

Post by ektus »

I've got the impression there is an excessive amount of data uploaded during normal browsing. Bandwith distribution table shows 11MB download and 6MB upload for today's data usage of this laptop. I've got a dozen windows open in Seamonkey with various sites, but that's all surfing newssites, smashwords, amazon, github, Gargoyle Forum :-) and the like. Is this due to the encryption overhead with https sites?

media.peerconnection is disabled in the browser, so that shouldn't be the culprit.

Is this only me, or have others similar data? Or is there some malicious software to blame I'm not yet aware of?

Feature request (or RTFM?):
Would it be possible to show the amount of data transfer to and from the recently visited sites in Web Monitor?

Edit: I'm not the only one, see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9343

Regards
Ektus.

pbix
Developer

Re: Upload data usage high during normal browsing

Post by pbix »

No encrypted connections do not cause higher than upload traffic than unencrypted connections.

One of your devices is uploading data. Cloud services do this for example. Many other too.

Look in your connection list and see if you can see the connection uploading the most data. See which remote IP is being contacted then see if you can figure out who's IP that is. You need to catch the upload source in the act as these connections time out after 10 minutes.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

ektus

Post by ektus »

pbix wrote:No encrypted connections do not cause higher than upload traffic than unencrypted connections.

One of your devices is uploading data. Cloud services do this for example. Many other too.

Look in your connection list and see if you can see the connection uploading the most data. See which remote IP is being contacted then see if you can figure out who's IP that is. You need to catch the upload source in the act as these connections time out after 10 minutes.
The data I'm referring are from the http://my_router_ip/bandwidth_distribution.sh chart on the Gargoyle router. This page states that my Notebook has used 87MB download and 6,8MB upload today. I don't use cloud services, there was a Java update today, the rest is from surfing the web with Seamonkey. Guess I'll have to fire up wireshark and see if I can spot the cause.

Regards
Ektus.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

In your last post you state a download/upload ratio of over 12:1. This is pretty normal I think. So I doubt you will find much interesting.

Your original post states a ratio of 2:1. This is not normal.

So which is it?
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

ektus

Post by ektus »

pbix wrote:In your last post you state a download/upload ratio of over 12:1. This is pretty normal I think. So I doubt you will find much interesting.

Your original post states a ratio of 2:1. This is not normal.

So which is it?
The last one was with a Java update, so a couple MB on the download side. Today's stats showed 24MB down and 4MB up and are now at 28MB down and 8MB up after viewing some news on http://www.heise.de/newsticker.

I'm going to investigate further, but normal browsing should have a ratio of no lower than 10 (rather 12 to 15).

Regards
Ektus.