QoS causing very slow pings after a couple of days

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

deuteragenie

QoS causing very slow pings after a couple of days

Post by deuteragenie »

I have enabled QoS with ACC a couple of days ago on a TP Link Archer C7 v2, with essentially two classes: 40% BW for streaming, and 60% for surfing, with minimization of RTT enabled.

It worked well for a couple of days. The "surfing" class then started to degrade significantly, from 30msec ping times to over 1000msec, with significant packet loss (ca 25%).

I could confirm the problem is with the QoS as removing ACC helped, but did not solve completely the issues, whereas disabling QoS altogether got rid of the problems (even without a reboot). Also, I connected directly to my modem/router and did not experience these issues.

Anyone else with similar experience? Is it possible that the QoS code(s) degrade over time (bug?).

pbix
Developer

Re: QoS causing very slow pings after a couple of days

Post by pbix »

This symptom has not be reported in this forum. Many have used QoS for many months consecutively without such an issue so it is not a known issue.

There is simply no place in the software for any traffic (pings or others) to hang around in the router for 1000 msec before moving on so it is hard to believe this is a router issue.

To get meaningful help with any issues it is vitally important to post a screen shot of your complete QoS download page while the symptom is present. Many knowledgeable people are here and are willing to help you but you have to do your part.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

deuteragenie

Re: QoS causing very slow pings after a couple of days

Post by deuteragenie »

Apologies for the lack of details in my initial post.

My settings are as such:
- QoS Upload - all options are the default ones
- QoS Download:
I have two classes: "Browse" and "Stream"
Browse has 70% BW, MinRTT, and is the default class
Stream has 30% BW, 3000 kbps min BW, and is assigned to two destination IPs (my TVs)
- Total bandwidth is 13000 kbit/sec (measured a number of times)
- ACC is enabled, with a non standard ping target set to 8.8.8.8

Since I disabled QoS over a week ago, the router has been running perfectly fine without any ping delays or other anomalies. Uptime is currently over 12 days. Current ping times abt 40 msec.