Quota Active Times

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

logger

Quota Active Times

Post by logger »

I am confused as to the difference if any between setting a bandwidth Quota to "All times Except" vs "Only".

Household has extra bandwitdh avalaible in wee hours from 01;00 to 07:00, so I want to lift restrictions then.

So I can make filters for each IP either by doing ;

Limit 200MB Active = All Times except 01:00-07:00

Limit 200MB Active = Only 07:00 - 01:00

Is there any difference between these in how quotas are applied?

What I am seeing when I use the "all times except" method is that if a user has used their 200mb in the wee hours, as soon as the time passes 07:00 (out of the exception) range they get cut off. I though't it should ignore what is used in the except period and only actively meter for the rest of the day. Is this how it should work?

Is there some difference between the two methods?

Lantis

Re: Quota Active Times

Post by Lantis »

There shouldn't be a difference. However I have a vague recollection that working with events around midnight doesn't work properly
i.e. 07:00-01:00 doesn't work because it passes midnight
So 07:00-23:59, 00:00-01:00 is the required time period
OR you could use an all times except as you've shown.

What time do you have the quota reset? If they use 190mb, then hit the free zone and it doesn't reset, they will only have 10mb when they enter the restriction again.
Ideally the quota resets at some point inside the free zone.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

logger

Post by logger »

Thanks heaps for the prompt reply. So in theory no difference but it gets fooled by midnight. So all times except 01:00-07:00 would be a better way to go.
Reset time had been left at default of midnight. So this was probably what was ruining things for me.

So if I set it to 07:00 reset they will start the restriction period afresh which is good. But OTOH wont that mean they get prevented from using data in the next days 01:00-07:00 free period if they have used up the their 200mb quota already.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

No they shouldn't, because once they are in the free period the quota is "inactive" and any restrictions and counting should be lifted and paused.

So the reset time can be anywhere inside the free period, but for sanity I'd put it at th beginning (01:00).
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

logger

Post by logger »

OK will try it that way and hopefully they will arrive at 07:00 to see no quota data has been used.

logger

Post by logger »

So what I have come up with is a rule thus:

Limit 200MB Active = All Times except 00:59-07:00 Reset hour 01:00.

That should work shouldn't it? Was not sure about putting the start time & reset both at 01:00, so split them buy a minute to ensure reset occurs outside of quota period

While I have your ear - what does the RESET button at the bottom of the Bandwidth Quotas page do? Does not appear to reset quotas so is it really a REFRESH the rules button or does it do something else?

If someone needs more bandwidth ad hoc do I have to change the rule, either increasing quota or bringing reset hour forward to next hour. Seemingly no way to zero and restart an individuals usage is there?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Rule sounds good to me.

The RESET button is more about the UI. So if you make a change you aren't happy with and haven't saved it yet, you can press Reset and it should revert to how it was. I find it a little hit and miss and often refresh the page just in case.

No not a direct way of resetting it.
I can think of a few dodgy ways of tricking it into doing so, but nothing clean and manageable from the GUI.
Changing the rule is the best method.

logger

Post by logger »

OK thank you for all your help. Really appreciate it. Cheers.