"WAN (PPPoE) Uptime:" Logging

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Dodgy Bob

"WAN (PPPoE) Uptime:" Logging

Postby Dodgy Bob » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:03 pm

Hey folks,

So it would appear to me that my internet connection drops out from time to time, like, maybe every 2 or 3 days, sometimes daily.

The reason why I think this is that in Gargoyle, on the Status > Overview page, "Uptime:" continually increases (as you would expect), whilst "WAN (PPPoE) Uptime:" finds itself resetting every 2 or 3 days, sometimes daily! Logically, I'm expecting both "Uptime:" and "WAN (PPPoE) Uptime:" to only be a couple of minutes apart, depending on the order I reboot the home network in - not hours or days apart.

For example, currently my "Uptime:" shows 8 days, 15 hours, 29 minutes and "WAN (PPPoE) Uptime:" shows 0 days, 10 hours, 16 minutes. Before this, it was sitting at approximately 2 days, so at some point last night, the "WAN (PPPoE) Uptime:" reset once again.

Thus, 2 questions:

1. Am I correct in thinking that if "WAN (PPPoE) Uptime:" resets, that means my internet connection has disconnected/reconnected?

2. If so, then how can I go about logging this and storing it locally so that I can pass this information on to my ISP?
Thanks in advance for any pointers and help.

Kind regards,
Dodgy Bob

**Note: If required, I am running Gargoyle 1.8.1 on a Netgear WNDR3800

Lantis

Re: "WAN (PPPoE) Uptime:" Logging

Postby Lantis » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:59 pm

I believe you are correct.
The easiest way to log it would be using hotplug.d to trigger a script on up or down of the interface.

These should be at /etc/hotplug.d/
There are also ppp up and down scripts at /etc/ppp/ which you might be able to tie into.
Routers: Various ar71xx/mvebu/x86-64
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases

Dodgy Bob

Postby Dodgy Bob » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi Lantis,

Thanks for that information, I was not aware of hotplug.d!

Well, I was hoping to be able to access my network and have a play around now, but alas, it would appear that my home machine is down for the count!

I'll have a look tonight once I'm home from work and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for the info.

Kind regards,
Dodgy Bob

Dodgy Bob

Postby Dodgy Bob » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi everyone,

OK, so I have my scripts in /etc/hotplug.d/iface now, however, I was wondering, is it possible to pull the uptime (not of the device, but of the WAN connection) before disconnect? I would imagine it would be, it would be more a case of finding where this info is being stored?

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance,
Dodgy Bob

Edit = Specify which uptime I'm after!

Lantis

Postby Lantis » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:53 am

ifstatus is the tool you want.
Try running "ifstatus wan" for all the info you can get.
You can use jsonfilter to easily get uptime.
"ifstatus wan | jsonfilter -e '@.uptime'"
Routers: Various ar71xx/mvebu/x86-64
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases

Return to “Monitoring / Quota / QoS Issues”